Water pollution happens when stormwater picks up dirt, oil, fertilizer, and other litter. As the water flows through streets when it rains - this pollution goes right to storm drains that lead to creeks, streams, and rivers. The water is not treated like drinking water and can affect the quality of our waterways.
How can you help? Make sure these items don't go down the storm drain:
- Chemicals - gasoline, oil, carpet cleaner, and fertilizer
- Grease - from your home or food trucks
- Leaves and grass clippings
- Pet waste
- Pool water (that's chlorinated)
- Soapy water or waste water
When you see pollution or someone illegally dumping litter into the storm drain, let us know.