The best way to protect streams from water pollution is to prevent at the source! This means keeping litter and other trash out of creeks in Raleigh. It's also important to keep trash out of yards and streets.
Ways to Prevent Water Pollution
- Pick up litter and throw it away in a garbage can.
- Blow or sweep fertilizer back onto the grass if it gets onto paved areas. Don't put fertilizer on the grass right before it rains. The chemicals will wash into storm drains and waterways.
- Mulch or compost grass or yard waste. Or, leave it in your yard if you can't compost. Don't blow leaves into the street. This clogs and damages storm drains.
- Wash your car or outdoor equipment where it can flow to a gravel or grassy area instead of a street.
- Don't pour your motor oil down the storm drain. Take it to the nearest auto parts store. It's free!
- Never clean up a spill by hosing it into a storm drain. Place kitty litter, sand, or another absorbent on the spill. Once the liquid becomes solid - sweep it up and throw it in a garbage can.