Yard Waste Landscaping Tips Collection
Yard waste in streets and storm drains:
- Is dangerous for cyclists and motorists;
- Ruins creeks and lakes – Yard waste decays in the water using up oxygen and releasing pollutants that can kill plants and other organisms;
- Can cause flooding; and,
- Leads to more stormwater maintenance costs.
Here's how you can help:
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn (they’re good fertilizer)
- Mow away from the pavement
- Sweep or blow clippings back onto the lawn
- Make compost! Mix grass clippings with leaves and soil
- Keep leaves off the street
There are a few options when collecting leaves and grass clippings:
Year-round - Do yard waste curbside pickup with the City of Raleigh.
Seasonal - Take part in loose leaf collection from November to February. This is for residential properties only. Commercial properties should bring their leaves and grass clippings to the Yard Waste Center.