Eligibility Requirements Application Process When and How You Can Apply Fire Recruit FAQ
If you love helping others, being a good neighbor, looking for job stability, and retirement benefits then the Raleigh Fire Department is a the right fit for you. No previous fire experience is required and we wish for all interested candidates to apply.
Candidates must able to meet the rigorous physical demands of the job and to think and to act quickly and competently in emergencies.
- At least 19 years old by the first day of the academy
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent ( proof required)
- Corrected vision of at least 20/30 in both eyes
- An operational telephone
- Must reside within 60-mile radius of the City Municipal Building by academy graduation.
- Have a Valid Driver’s license
For full list of requirements and disqualifications see candidate manual
Note: In 2020 we will be offering an additional abbreviated academy for those that are currently certified NC EMT or National Registered EMT, NC FFI & II, NC Hazmat Level 1.
The application process is usually five months. Steps for application include:
- Complete an application online via NEOGOV website in November
- Pass candidate written aptitude test
- Pass Physical agility test
- Pass Oral interview
- Pass Contingent Offer Phase
- Offer of employment
- Training Academy/Probationary Period
Click to learn more about the application process.
When and How You Can Apply
The City of Raleigh uses an online application process. Applications are not accepted in person and must be completed online. Application period opens Nov. 1 and ends Nov. 30, 2020.
How to Submit An Application
All applicants must go to the NEOGOV website and create a governmentjobs.com account. If you already have a GovernmentJobs.com account, sign in with your username and password, select the job title and then apply. All sections of the application must be completed. If a question does not apply to you, indicate with NA. Questions marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
For support related to the online application process please call 855-524-5627 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Fire Recruit FAQ
Don’t see the information that you are looking for? Our frequently asked questions page may have the answers. You can also email us at email@example.com