Leak Adjustments on your Utility Bill

Jump To:

Guidelines Request a Leak Adjustment While Your Request is Processing...

Water and/or sewer charges may be eligible for adjustment when a leak is found on the customer's side of the meter

A leak adjustment is a financial adjustment to water and/or waste water (sewer) usage charges on a customer's bill caused by a leak on the customer's side of the meter or an exceptional unexplained increase in consumption that a licensed plumber and/or Public Utilities Meter Operations staff has validated.

Leak adjustments will cover no more than two (2) consecutive months.  Only one (1) financial adjustment associated to billed usage will be allowed every two (2) years per premise.


A leak adjustment may be granted when ALL of the following conditions are present:

  • Customer notifies the City of Raleigh Customer Care and Billing Division of an excessive utility bill that may be related to a leak
  • Water consumption exceeds the customer's average monthly usage or twice the average monthly usage over the previous 12-month period (dependent upon the type of leak)
  • Leak occurred on the customer's side of the meter
  • Plumber's receipt or other proof confirms the leak was repaired

However, no adjustments will be granted where any of the following situations exist:

  • Usage above the customer's average monthly consumption is due to seasonal usage such as watering of sod, gardening, filling swimming pools or whirlpools, washing vehicles, etc.
  • Leak was caused by a third party from whom the customer is able to recover their costs. Examples include, but are not limited to, theft, vandalism, negligence and construction damage, unoccupied or vacant properties.
  • When leak continues for three (3) or more months, there will be no adjustment for the third or subsequent months.
  • The meter at said property has been accessed, tampered with, or turned on/off by anyone other than a City of Raleigh employee and that action results in loss of water.
  • A leak adjustment was issued within the past two (2) years for the same premise.

Details of the leak adjustment policy can be reviewed in the following document:

Request a Leak Adjustment

Requests for water leak adjustments must be accompanied by a plumber’s receipt or other proof of repair.

Submit a leak adjustment request with receipt to Customer Care and Billing by any of the following methods:


  • Email
  • Fax: 919-996-1813
  • Mail to:
    City of Raleigh
    Customer Care and Billing Division
    PO Box 590
    Raleigh, NC 27602
  • In Person:
    City of Raleigh Municipal Building
    Utility Payments Counter
    222 W. Hargett St.
    Raleigh, NC 27601


After all documentation has been received by the Customer Care and Billing Division, a determination will be made if the leak is adjustable or not, and a letter will be sent to the billing address stating approval or disapproval of the leak and the details.  Requests will be reviewed and determinations made as quickly as possible, but please note that this process could take 7-10 business days.

While Your Request is Processing...

While a leak adjustment request is being processed, the customer is responsible for payment of the entire amount due on their utility bills within the normal payment period; or the customer should request to enter into an agreed-upon payment arrangement. If this does not occur, the customer is subject to all current and applicable collection activities and termination of service processes for delinquent accounts.

Lead Department:
Service Categories:
Utility Billing

Related Events

  All events