Before You Start Your Project Approvals or Permits Issued Key Steps in the Process Mailed Notification Requirement Submittal Requirements Expected Processing Time for Development Projects Fees
An Administrative Site Review (ASR) is a Tier Two or Tier Three Site Plan as described in the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) Section 10.2.8., as amended by text change case TC-14-19. ASR's are administratively approved by city staff before approvals and permits can be processed for construction, development activity, or other work that does not qualify as a Tier One Site Plan.
Before You Start Your Project
Site Plan Tier Verification
The Site Plan Tier classification should be identified prior to submitting for review of any proposed development activity. The Site Plan Tier impacts which UDO regulations are applicable to a development proposal. For more information about Site Plan Tiers see UDO Section 10.2.8.B. as modified by UDO Text Change TC-14-19.
If assistance determining a Site Plan Tier is needed a Site Plan Tier Verification request can be submitted online via the Permit and Development Portal. (Note: There is a fee for this verification service.)
A Sketch Plan Review is highly recommended prior to submitting your Administrative Site Review.
The project must be zoned in a district that allows the proposed use and is listed in the UDO and City of Raleigh Zoning Map.
Ensure that the parcel(s) are properly recorded at the Wake County Register of Deeds Office with an assigned PIN (parcel identification number) and address.
If the project includes land disturbance 12,000 sq ft or greater, requires public improvements, or a new recorded map, then see Site Permit Review for more information.
Approvals or Permits Issued
An entitlement or approval of an Administrative Site Review in accordance with the UDO, Chapter 10. No permits issued.
Modifications to an Approved Site Plan
In order to revise an approved site plan a Minor or Major Site Plan Modification review and approval must be obtained.
Key Steps in the Process
- Applicant submits required information and related documents to the Planning and Development Customer Service Center.
- Based on complexity, projects may be assigned to a Coordinating Planner to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the process.
- Based on complexity, projects will be assigned a designated Team Lead to assist with the regulatory issues for the project.
- Plans are reviewed by a team of staff with expertise in planning, transportation, urban design, comprehensive planning, transit, stormwater, utilities, fire, zoning, forestry, and greenways. Additional staff may be involved, depending on the type and location of the project. The team reviews plans in accordance with regulations in the Unified Development Ordinance as well as other policies, procedures, and regulations in the Comprehensive Plan, Public Utilities Handbook, Street Design Manual, Stormwater Design Manual, and Solid Waste Handbook.
- The applicant addresses unresolved issues and re-submits required sets of revised plans for review.
- When all issues are resolved, an approval letter documenting the action of the site plan with any conditions of approval is provided.
Mailed Notification Requirement
Unsealed, stamped, and addressed envelopes need to be submitted with your permit application. It is required to send mailed notice to all property owners with 100 feet of all sides of the subject property. Each envelope should contain a letter with information on your project. An infill notification letter template (click here) is available to download in order to assist with the requirement.
The City of Raleigh Label Maker is a helpful resource that can be used to identify addresses within 100 feet of the subject property. Effective 5/2/19, ASR’s meeting the following criteria will have to provide the same notice listed above:
Administrative Site Review projects that meet the following criteria are required to send mailed notice to all property owners within 100 feet of all sides of the subject property.
- New buildings greater than 25,000 square feet, or additions that represent a 10% increase in building area or 25,000 square feet, whichever is greater; AND,
- The subject property is located within 100 feet of a property that is zoned R-1, R-2, R-4, R-6, or R-10.
Mailed notification requires:
- Stamped, unsealed envelopes each containing a notification letter (to be provided) addressed to all property owners within 100’ of subject parcel(s).
- One copy of the completed notification letter (download template)
- One copy of the list of all property owners within 100’, with address and PIN of each property (obtain from iMaps).
- One copy of a map (8.5"x11") showing all properties to be notified (to be included with the letter, obtain from iMaps).
The City of Raleigh Label Maker is a helpful resource that can be used to identify addresses within 100 feet of the subject property.
|Required for Submittal||
This packet contains the instructions, checklist, and application for Administrative Site Review projects.
|Required for Some Projects||