Before Starting Your Project Other Helpful Documents When + Where to Submit Your Application How Long Does it Take to Get a Permit? Fees
The processes below may have changed due to COVID-19. Please visit our Planning and Development information page for the most up to date processes and procedures.
The process for the standard review of commercial building plans ensures that all commercial construction complies with the N.C. State Building Code. This process covers new buildings, additions, alterations, change of use and mass grading.
You must schedule a gatekeeping appointment before submitting plans for:
- New buildings;
- Additions; or,
- Changes of use.
Gatekeeping is an administrative review to verify that there is adequate information for a detailed code review. Contact a Planning and Development Technician at 919-996-2500 to schedule this appointment.
Other proposed work, including alterations and fit-ups, may be submitted to the Planning and Development Customer Service Center without an appointment. Walk-ins will be assisted in the order they arrive.
Before Starting Your Project
- Obtain a recorded map of the property, if available, for new buildings, additions, change of use, and site reviews. If there is no recorded map, a copy of a current signed and sealed survey, in addition to the property description on file with the Wake County Register of Deeds, will be accepted;
- Establish address. Contact the GIS Addressing Team at 919-996-4471 for address assignments;
- Approved concurrent drawings;
- Approved administrative site review or preliminary subdivision, if applicable; and,
- An appointment scheduled for gatekeeping, which is conducted the same day as the package is received for submittal.
Other Helpful Documents
When + Where to Submit Your Application
|Required for Submittal||
How Long Does it Take to Get a Permit?
- Applicants will be notified by email when plans are ready for pick up.
- Plan review comments can be viewed at all times in the Permit and Development Portal.
Plans that are ready for permit issuance but still waiting on contractor information will be kept at the Planning and Development Customer Service Center for up to six months. After six months, the plans will be discarded and the application will be voided.
An administrative fee may be incurred when projects have to be voided.
Plans that are not approved in between review cycles must be picked up at the Planning and Development Customer Service Center Records Center within 30 days after the last review. Unapproved plans will be discarded after 30 days.
- Two fees are due with the submittal package. These are the commercial review fee for new buildings, change of use and additions, and the land disturbance (grading) review fee
- All other permit fees are due when permits are ready for pickup
- See Development Fee Schedule for specific fees
- The Planning and Development Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include: Cash, MasterCard, Visa, or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
Use this fee calculator to obtain an estimate of building and trade permit fees.