The best way to improve surface water quality is to prevent pollution at its source! Here are a few tips on preventing water pollution:
- Pick up litter and throw it away in a garbage can.
- Blow or sweep fertilizer back onto the grass if it gets onto paved areas. Don't put fertilizer on the grass right before it rains. The chemicals will wash into storm drains and waterways.
- Mulch or compost grass or yard waste. Or, leave it in your yard if you can't compost. Don't blow leaves into the street. This clogs and damages storm drains.
- Wash your car or outdoor equipment where it can flow to a gravel or grassed area instead of a street.
- Don't pour your motor oil down the storm drain. Take it to the nearest auto parts store. This is free!
- Never clean up a spill by hosing it into a storm drain. Use dry methods like placing kitty litter, sand, or another absorbent on the spill. Once the liquid becomes solid - sweep it up and throw it in a garbage can.