The most valuable assets you want to protect before any storm are without question you and your family, but don’t forget about your vehicle!
Here are a few tips to keep your car safe.
- Routine car maintenance prevents breakdowns and safety concerns. Your car will be ready to operate at its best in case of an emergency.
- Keep your gas tank close to full whenever possible.
- Prepare an emergency kit for your car. (jumper cables, gas container, tool kit, radio with batteries, first aid kit, etc.)
- Park your car in a safe area! If you don’t have a garage, try to park away from trees, power lines, light poles, and any structures that could fall onto your vehicle and cause damage. Parking close to a building can offer some protection from high winds.
- If you must drive during a storm, avoid flooded roads and washed-out bridges. It only takes 12 inches of fast-moving water to carry away a small car!
- Stay informed! When is the storm expected to reach your area? How bad will it be? Watch local news for up-to-date weather information and their recommendations. Be informed on the emergency evacuations routes and go over this information with your family.
Be prepared and stay safe, Raleigh!