Benefits What to Look for Install Maintenance Resources
Rain barrels are a simple way to capture, store, and use rainwater as it flows from gutters and downspouts onto a property. This helps reduce stormwater pollution to local streams, lakes, and rivers. You can use the water for gardening and even to wash your car or walkway/driveway!
This water should not be used for drinking.
- Rainwater is good for plants and soils;
- Recycling rainwater for outdoor household needs conserves drinking water;
- Using rainwater instead of treated water can save money and energy; and,
- Reducing stormwater runoff by capturing rainwater is good for the environment because less pollution reaches streams and lakes.
What to Look for
Keep this in mind when choosing a rain barrel:
- Dark-colored rain barrels prevent algae growth;
- Screens protect against mosquitos breeding in the water;
- Large overflow hoses help remove excess water;
- A removable lid is good for maintenance and safety; and,
- Make sure the rain barrel drains. This will prevent stagnant water.
Rain barrels should be near a downspout on a level and raised surface. The barrel should also be placed a few feet off the ground for easy access to rainwater and to allow the water to drain properly. Rain barrels should not be connected to plumbing for drinking water.
- Check your gutters and downspouts to make sure they aren’t clogged or leaking
- Remove debris from the rain barrel screen and repair it when needed
- Make sure the downspout is secure
Check out these local vendors for more information about purchasing rain barrels at a discounted rate:
The City of Raleigh does not handle rain barrel sales. Please work directly with the vendor for all sales, distribution, and product support.
Note: Rain barrels do not qualify for Raleigh Rainwater Rewards.