Call for Proposals What is an Impact Partner? Who is eligible for the Impact Partner Grant? What are the selection criteria? How much funding will be awarded? What do I need to submit with my proposal? What is the timeline for funding proposals?
The Impact Partner Grant provides funding to organizations that help underrepresented innovators, entrepreneurs, and small businesses start, stay, and grow in Raleigh.
Call for Proposals
Calling all impact-oriented companies, social enterprises, non-profits, universities, and innovators that seek to strengthen Raleigh’s thriving innovation ecosystem. The City of Raleigh’s new Office of Strategy and Innovation (aka Office of Yes, And!) is proud to revive the highly successful Impact Partner Grants. Impact Partner Grants provide funding to organizations that help underrepresented innovators, entrepreneurs, and small businesses start, stay, and grow in Raleigh. The grants are a crucial to the Office of Strategy & Innovation’s vision to foster inclusive innovation and achieve the seemingly impossible.
We are looking for innovation ecosystem partners – including startups, non-profits, social enterprises, and universities – with bold new initiatives to enhance the lives of others. Past awardees include District C, Innovate Raleigh, RiOT, and Launch Raleigh.
The Impact Partner Grant allowed us to focus on the 6- or 12-month window rather than the 1- or 2-month window and having that breathing room to make important decisions that align with the values of the organization is invaluable. - District C, past Impact Partner Grant recipient
The Impact Partner Grant provides financial support and technical assistance from the Office of Strategy and Innovation to implement their proposed programs.
The goals for the Impact Partner Grant are to:
- Support business initiatives that align with the City of Raleigh’s Strategic Plan
- Promote collaboration among stakeholders serving the City of Raleigh
- Connect businesses with additional resources and funding opportunities to support growth
The Office of Strategy & Innovation will be accepting Request for Proposals for the Impact Partner Grant beginning Monday, August 15, 2022. Proposals are due via email to Cristina Leos (email@example.com), Senior Innovation Strategist, by 11:59 pm ET on Thursday, September 15, 2022.
What is an Impact Partner?
An Impact Partner is a community stakeholder that builds a successful, sustainable and vibrant business ecosystem. Put simply, an instrumental partner for economic development.
As Impact Partners, these ecosystem builders:
- create an invisible infrastructure to allow entrepreneurs and small business owners to find resources needed to succeed
- advocate for local entrepreneurs and their companies
- bring these entrepreneurs and companies together in collaboration
- challenge entrepreneurs to grow, and push everyone forward
- are catalysts, connectors, co-creators, and changemakers.
Who is eligible for the Impact Partner Grant?
Eligible sectors targeted by the program include:
- Technology and Internet of Things (iOT)
- Consumer Packaged Goods and Products
- Design and Creative Industries
- Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals
- Social Impact and Social Innovation
- Workforce Development
- Manufacturing and Distribution
- Transportation and Logistics
- Retail and retail-related services
- Non-Profit Corporations
We are particularly interested in organizations that support underrepresented business owners or stakeholders. This includes marginalized groups across race, gender, sexual orientation, income, abilities, or other categories by which people have been historically excluded.
What are the selection criteria?
Proposals must align with one of the following City of Raleigh Strategic Plan Objectives for Economic Development:
- Objective 1: Identify and enhance workforce development partnerships and efforts and actively serve as a conduit to residents, businesses, and resource partners to attract, retain, and engage a talented workforce of various ages, skill sets, and backgrounds to support a diverse, inclusive, and growing economy.
- Objective 2: Cultivate an innovative and entrepreneurial culture based on shared strategic goals.
- Objective 3: Develop strategies and tools that encourage and strengthen the development of businesses throughout the community.
- Objective 4: Maintain and develop amenities and infrastructure to support and encourage jobs and business development and expansion in all parts of the city that provides opportunity for all.
In addition, proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Gap or Need: What is the need within the Raleigh ecosystem that this program will help fill?
- Program Plan: Are there clear goals, objectives, and workplans guiding the program implementation?
- Equity Alignment: How does this program advance diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- Partnerships: What new or existing partnerships will support the success of this program?
- Organizational Capacity: What resources and staff will support the successful implementation of this program?
These criteria are used to help guide the selection process, but the City of Raleigh reserves the right to award funding based on the proposals that the City determines to be best aligned with the policy objectives set forth within the Strategic Plan.
How much funding will be awarded?
Each organization may request $15,000 to $20,000. The requested funding cannot be more than 25 percent of the organization’s annual budget.
What do I need to submit with my proposal?
Use the template provided below to compile your written proposal.
A complete proposal submitted via email must include:
- Written responses to the application questions using the template provided here.
- Program budget. Proposals that do not include the budget will not be reviewed.
Completed proposals are due to Cristina Leos, senior innovation strategist, by 11:59 p.m. on Sept. 15. Please include the subject line “Impact Partner Grant Proposal Submission.”
What is the timeline for funding proposals?
August 15, 2022
Impact Partner Grant application opens
September 15, 2022
Impact Partner Grant application closes
The application will close at 11:59 pm ET on Thursday, September 15, 2022
September 15 - September 30, 2022
Proposal review and evaluation
Proposals will be reviewed by the Office of Strategy and Innovation and a panel of experts within the Raleigh innovation ecosystem. Applicants may be contacted with follow up questions or an interview.
Mid October 2022
Impact Partner Grant winners selected
DISCLAIMER: We know innovation comes from organizations of various sizes/industries/stages. Are you not sure you fit 100 percent of the above criteria but are committed to helping the City of Raleigh foster bold new programs? Apply!
If you have questions or need any assistance completing the application, please send an email to Cristina Leos, senior innovation strategist with the subject line, “Impact Partner Grant.”