Get Involved Participant Duties How to Adopt-A-Shelter
Adopt-A-Shelter is a program that helps businesses, individuals, community organizations and schools make a real difference in their neighborhoods by "adopting" local bus shelters.
GoRaleigh, the City of Raleigh's transit program, maintains more than 200 bus shelters in the Raleigh area. An adopter, whether it's an individual or a group, assists by removing trash in and around the shelter area on a monthly basis, at a minimum. You also assist by alerting transit staff to special maintenance needs and reporting vandalism or suspicious activity. In short, by adopting a shelter you are helping keep your community safe and clean.
When you or your group adopts a bus shelter, we'll make sure you receive the recognition you deserve by placing a decal in the shelter with your personal, business, or community name.
By participating in the Adopt-A-Shelter Program, individual agrees to adopt a bus shelter for a period of 12 months. Participant also agrees to maintain the adopted shelter area by being responsible for the following:
- Remove trash around the shelter and bus stop area.
- Report shelter damage or special maintenance needs to Transit Staff.
- Report any signs of graffiti at the shelter area to Transit Staff.
- Report any signs of criminal behavior and/or suspicious packages in or around the shelter area to Raleigh Police.
How to Adopt-A-Shelter
- View our online map to see and adopt available shelters.
- You will receive a confirmation email asking you to fill out the Adopt-A-Shelter Agreement Form with the requested shelter location your organization would like to adopt. Return the agreement form by e-mail.
- Once staff has received your completed form, we will provide you with trash bags, disposable gloves and safety vests so you may begin trash removal at your adopted shelter.
Please allow 2-4 weeks for your shelter adoption to start. An additional 2-4 weeks may be needed to complete your shelter decal.