Mass Grading Only

More information on the development review process for mass grading and land disturbance.

Jump To:

Mass Grading vs. Site Permit Review Approvals or Permits Issued Submittal Requirements Additional Information Expected Processing Time for Development Projects Fees

The mass grading process allows an applicant to obtain a permit for the purposes of land disturbance, including changes in grade onsite. A land disturbance permit is required when an area of 12,000 square feet or more is disturbed.

Review of a mass grading only plan includes the following trades: stormwater, tree conservation, fire protection, transportation services, and zoning. Approvals from state or federal agencies such as FEMA, the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the NC Division of Water Quality may be are required prior to issuance of a land disturbance permit.

Mass Grading vs. Site Permit Review

The following activities are NOT eligible for the mass grading only process and must go through Site Permit Review (SPR). The mass grading review process would then be included within the SPR review and land disturbance permit issued with approval of SPR plans.:

  • Install stormwater pipes or detention devices
  • Install utility lines
  • Building footprints
  • Street improvements
  • Driveways
  • Parking lots
  • Retaining walls

Approvals or Permits Issued

  • Land Disturbance
  • Tree Conservation
  • Flood, when the property is located within a flood hazard area
  • Neuse River Buffer, for property within the Neuse River buffer

Submittal Requirements

Type Description
Required for Submittal

Expected Processing Time for Development Projects

Please see our development review turnaround times.


The Development Fee Guide provides a detailed list of specific development fees.  

  • The Customer Service Center processes payments or you may pay via the Permit Portal.
  • Payment types include Cash, MasterCard, Visa, or check made payable to the City of Raleigh.

A  fee calculator may be used to obtain an estimate of some building and trade permit fees.



Ben Brown, PE
Stormwater Administrator


Lead Department:
Engineering Services
Service Categories:
StormwaterLand / Site DevelopmentPermits - Commercial