- Sales shall be limited to agricultural produce with the area devoted to the produce stand activities not to exceed a maximum of two thousand (2,000) square feet. In addition to the sales of agricultural produce, twenty-five percent (25%) of the produce stand area may be devoted to the sales of homemade food goods such as baked goods, jams, and relishes. For produce stands not removed from the lot on a daily basis, the use shall be limited to a maximum of eight (8) months per calendar year. All tents, stands, signs, and structures associated with the produce stand shall be removed from the property within five (5) calendar days following the termination of the approved time period.
- Produce stands located within any residential zoning district shall be required to locate on the property of a residential institution (church, school, civic club, etc.), or a minimum of one hundred (100) dwelling units or on property fronting a thoroughfare as designated by the City's Comprehensive Plan. In the event that the property fronting a thoroughfare is developed with a single-family detached dwelling, no parking associated with the produce stand may be located within the front yard area.
- Tent stands or other related structures shall provide a minimum ten (10) feet setback from all property lines and public rights-of-way.
- One (1) off-street parking space shall be provided for every two hundred (200) square feet of area devoted to retail sales, but no less than three pedestrian and vehicle circulation and arranged so that vehicle ingress and egress to exempt from parking surface requirements and the required landscaping requirements.
- Signage for all produce stand activities on the premise shall be limited to one (1) unlighted announcement sign not to exceed twelve (12) square feet in area and be higher than three and one half (3 1/2) feet above the ground elevation.
- All activities shall be discontinued by 8:00 p.m. when located within a residential zoning district.
- No Code-required landscape planning area shall be utilized in association with the produce stand activities and no unauthorized encroachments on public rights-of-way shall be permitted.
- A site plan that shows the location of all tents, produce stands, driveways, off-street parking, traffic circulation, signs, or other related structures be submitted to the City of Raleigh for their approval, and that a zoning permit is issued prior to any event taking place.
How to Apply for Produce Stand
Applications and required documentation are currently accepted via email only. Please submit your completed Produce Stand Application and supporting documentation to ZoningPermits@raleighnc.gov.
Digital submittal: Produce Stand Application along with the supporting documentation must be submitted via email as separate PDF files. (Note: PDF is the only accepted file format)
Email subject lines should include:
- New Submittals: Indicate “New Submittal” and scope of work (Produce Stand zoning permit)
- Re-submittals: Indicate “Re-submittal” and include your case number and scope of work (Produce Stand zoning permit)
Monitoring Your Project
The Permit and Development Portal is a great way to view your project activity online. Once you have registered an account, you are able to view your project status, pay fees, or schedule inspections. Visit our permit portal help center for a list of frequently asked questions.
Also, see the Development Fee Guide for current permit fees. Permit fees are due when permits are issued.
Required for Some Projects
Are you erecting a tent exceeding 400 square feet?
If yes, a flame retardant certification must be secured, and a fire inspection must be schedule. Contact Fire Prevention for copy of the Tent Permit Application as well as schedule your inspection: 919-996-6392.