Affordable Rental Housing

Apartments, townhomes, etc.

Jump To:

Rent a City-Owned Apartment Tenant Information Additional Rental Resources

To qualify for income restricted rental units your income must be at 80% or below of area median income.

Rental Properties

Family Size 80% HUD Income Gross Income Limit
1 $63,500
2 $72,550
3 $81,600
4 $90,650
5 $97,950
6 $105,200
7 $112,450
8 $119,700

Rent a City-Owned Apartment

Many of the city-owned rental units have been remodeled as part of the City’s commitment to the revitalization of neighborhoods and communities. Housing unit options include 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments. Conditions and other restrictions apply. Make sure that you understand your tenant rights and obligations.

  • To learn about currently available rental properties, contact the City’s property manager, Barker Realty, Inc. at 919-859-0044 for details.
  • To qualify for the City's affordable rental housing, a Raleigh resident’s income must be 60% less than the area median income. Use this chart to see if you qualify.
Family Size 60% HUD Income Gross Limit
1 $47,640
2 $54,420
3 $61,200
4 $67,980
5 $73,440
6 $78,900
7 $84,300
8 $89,760

Tenant Information

Find out how to get your city services turned on for your city-owned unit. Also, view your rights and obligations as a tenant. Learn more

Additional Rental Resources

Fair Housing Project
A Project of Legal Aid of North Carolina 855-797-3247 (toll free), - Provides free legal assistance to low income individuals throughout North Carolina.

NC Human Relations Commission
919-807-4420 or 1-866-324-7474 (toll free) - NC state agency that investigates complaints of discrimination and enforces NC’s Fair Housing Law.

NC Attorney General’s Office - Consumer Protection
919-716-6000; 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (toll free), - The Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office enforces North Carolina’s consumer protection laws, which are aimed at preventing unfair or deceptive trade practices.

City of Raleigh’s Code Enforcement Division of the Housing and Neighborhoods Department - Inspects apartments/houses to make sure there are no violation of the Raleigh Housing Code.

North Carolina Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
919-677-8574 or 1-800-662-7660 (toll free). To help you locate an attorney.