1. Find the trail that is right for you.
Be sure to check the status and hours for the trail you plan to visit. Here are resources to help you find just the right trail for your family:
- Park Locator
- Capital Area Greenway Trail System
- Nature Preserve Trails: Forest Ridge Park, Durant, Horseshoe Farm, Annie Louise Wilkerson
2. Plan your route.
Decide which hike works best for your family – be sure to consider the trail length, trail surfaces, and terrain. Always hike on designated trails and follow safety guidelines. Remember social distancing best practices to always follow when on the trail.
3. Be prepared.
Here are a few important items you will want to bring:
- Water – It is important to stay hydrated!
- Trail map
- Phone or way to communicate
- Comfortable shoes
4. Have Fun!
Enjoy your time on the trails. You may want to bring along a sketchbook to journal about your trip or a magnifying glass to get a closer look at things you find along the way. Here are some additional ideas:
Remember to Leave No Trace!
These principles help you minimize your impact on the environment.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.