Safety and Etiquette Rules Greenway Safety Volunteers Safety PSAs
To enjoy Raleigh greenways safely, we recommend you follow not only the rules and etiquette below but also social distancing best practices outlined here.
Safety and Etiquette
- Bicyclists, skaters, and skateboarders should approach pedestrians cautiously and pass on the left and audibly call “on your left” to alert others
- All users, including pets, should remain on the right side of the trail except when passing
- Bicyclists, skaters, and skateboarders must always yield the right of way to pedestrians
- Patrons should be aware of their surroundings on the trail
- The use of headphones is discouraged
- Patrons are encouraged to walk or jog with a companion
- Hide your belongings, lock your car, and take your keys
- If you see something needing repair or maintenance, please contact the greenway maintenance staff at 919-996-4115 or by email or report it on SeeClickFix.
- Obey posted rules and regulations
- Trail hours are from dawn to dusk
- The speed limit on trails is 10 mph
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited
- Motorized vehicles are prohibited on greenways
- Fires are prohibited on greenways
- It is prohibited to remove, destroy, or damage any plant life or property
- Pets must be on a leash no greater than 6 feet
- Owners must remove pet waste
- It is prohibited to kill, trap, or harm wildlife
- Swimming in City lakes is prohibited
- Horses are prohibited on trails
- All trail users under the age of 16 are required to wear a safety helmet when using a bike, skates, scooters or any other non-motorized vehicle
- Smoking is prohibited in City parks and greenways
- Weapons prohibited except those permitted in NCGS 14-415.23 (RCC Sec. 9-2021)
- Camping is prohibited in City parks and greenways
Greenway Safety Volunteers
The Raleigh Police Department in partnership with the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department coordinates a Greenway Volunteer Program for the safety, security, and protection of greenway users, park resources, and the surrounding natural areas.
Raleigh Parks has safety public service announcements for greenway trail users to learn about proper trail etiquette and safety procedures.