We've launched an initiative called "Stormwater Smart". Our goal is to be the "smartest" stormwater program possible. We're focused on providing the most innovative, cost-effective, and equitable services to you and the entire community. You pay for these services through the stormwater utility fee.
Are you interested in what we're doing? Look for information tagged with #StormwaterSmart on our Twitter account.
How We Work Smarter
Here's what we plan to do better! Services will do more to reduce impacts from flooding, erosion, and water pollution in Raleigh.
- Get diverse community input on projects and policies. We want to understand your needs and identify good, equitable solutions to stormwater issues.
- Plan projects looking at the entire watershed instead of focusing on one project or area at a time. This will help us upgrade the stormwater system in your neighborhood in a holistic way.
- Improve how we track flooding and handle impacts from hazardous flooding.
- Use green stormwater infrastructure on projects to help keep pollution out of waterways.
- Require better design and stormwater controls on buildings. This will help keep sediment - a major cause of pollution - on sites and out of streams. It also will manage how stormwater flows from a property, which helps reduce flooding.
- Make sure we are reaching and engaging with you. This includes using trusted, established channels and working with community leaders/groups.
Work We're Doing
- Adding green stormwater infrastructure to Glenwood Avenue, Walnut Creek Wetland Park, Peterson Street, and Glen Eden Pilot Park.
- Doing a pilot program to lower water levels at Lake Johnson to prepare for storms.
- Added rain gauges at fire stations to get better data on how much rain falls across the city.
- Studying flooding and erosion conditions in south Raleigh to see what projects are needed in this area.