Connecting to Water and Sewer Services

Water and sewer service permitting for single parcel and multi-parcel projects.

Jump To:

Prerequisites Permits Issued Key Steps in the Process Submittal Requirements Fees Next Steps

Water and Sewer Services are a part of any project that requires a connection to the City of Raleigh’s Water and Sewer System.  This process applies to the installation of new services and abandoning existing services.

Clients may now apply for the following permits for water and sewer connections with the Permit Application. Permit applications can be found at the top of the Development Forms in the “Most Popular Selections” box.

  • Utility Connection – Meter installation
  • Utility Service – Stub Permit (Service from water or sewer mainline to parcel)
  • Plumbing Utility – (Water and sewer service from property line to the foundation)


Any contractor performing construction and repair work in the public right-of-way is required to provide a Certificate of Eligibility and a maximum $5,000.00 bond.

For further information see Raleigh Municipal Code section 11-6001 Permit and regulations for working in, upon, over, under or adjacent to the streets and sidewalks and supply this Contractor Bond Form to

Permits Issued

A client can apply for the following permits for the water and sewer service installation during the building review process with the Permit Application:

  • Utility Connection Permit – Required to set the meter
  • Utility Service – Stub permit to make tap into City of Raleigh water or sewer main
  • Plumbing Utility – Install a water or sewer service line on private property or easement to the building

Key Steps in the Process

  • When applying for stubs to multiple parcels during site review, use the Permit application and the Addendum to acquire the Utility Service Permits ONLY.
  • You may apply for individual utility connection permits after infrastructure has been installed, during the Residential Building Plan review for Single-family and Duplex Process.
  • Plans showing the utility installation must be submitted in accordance with each individual process.
  • If you are applying for water and/or sewer service independent from any project, please submit the Permit Application, detailed plans showing the utility installation.
  • If approval for a traffic control and pedestrian routing setup for water and sewer installation is required prior to the installation. Please apply separately to the online Permit and Development Portal under street, lane, sidewalk closure permit. Please allow 5 business days for review.

Submittal Requirements



Required for Submittal for an individual parcel and Site Plans

Site Permit Review


Next Steps

  • Refer to your permit for requirement for preconstruction meeting. Please schedule inspections through the Permit and Development Portal.
  • Failure to notify can result in a delay of the project. 


Lead Department:
Planning and DevelopmentWater
Service Categories:
Permits - ResidentialPermits - Commercial