Request A Leak Adjustment on Utility Bill

Includes water leaks, swimming pools, and excessive unexplained usage

Jump To:

General Guidelines How to Submit Your Request Processing Your Request

If you have a leak you may qualify to have your water and sewer bill adjusted. Requirements vary depending on the reason for the leak. Choose which category applies for more information:

Not sure what your usage should be? Check out our water calculator

General Guidelines

  1. Adjustment will be allowed one time per year for the two highest billing cycles (except for filling a swimming pool). 
  2. Leak adjustments are based on the type of leak, and all requirements of the Leak Adjustment Policy must be met. 
  3. Base, watershed and infrastructure replacement fees will not be adjusted. 
  4. Leak adjustments will not exceed $1,000 for residential customers without approval of the Appeals Officer.  

No adjustment will be granted where any of the following situations exist:

  • Usage above the customer's average monthly consumption is due to seasonal usage such as watering of sod, gardening, washing vehicles, etc.
  • Leak was caused by a third party from whom the customer is able to recover costs, or is covered by insurance. Examples include (but are not limited to) theft, vandalism, negligence, construction damage, unoccupied or vacant properties.
  • When a leak continues for three or more months, there will be no adjustment for the third or subsequent months.
  • The water meter has been accessed, tampered with, or turned on/off by anyone other than a City of Raleigh employee and that action results in loss of water.
  • A leak adjustment was issued within the past one year for the same customer's account/premise.

Leak Adjustment Policy (Effective June 16, 2020)

How to Submit Your Request

If you meet the qualifying conditions, submit your request for adjustment, along with the plumber's receipt or other proof of repair (if applicable), to the Customer Care and Billing Division using any of the methods below:
Leak Adjustment Form
Email to Customer Care
Fax: 919-996-1813
Mail to: City of Raleigh, Customer Care and Billing Division, PO Box 590, Raleigh, NC 27602
In Person: City of Raleigh Municipal Building, Utilities Payments Counter, 222 W. Hargett St., Raleigh, NC 27601

Processing Your Request

After all documentation has been received by the Customer Care and Billing Division, your request will be reviewed and a determination made within 7-10 business days. Notification will be sent to you at the billing address on file stating whether the leak is adjustable or not, and providing details of the determination.

While your adjustment request is being processed, you are responsible for payment of the entire amount due on your utility bills within the normal payment period. If you need some time to pay you can establish a pay plan online by contacting a Customer Care representative at 919-996-3245. Otherwise, your account will be subject to all current and applicable collection activities including termination of service.



Customer Care & Billing
Web Self Service
Phone: 919-996-3245
Payments: 888-905-3169


Lead Department:
Service Categories:
Utility Service Requests and PaymentsBilling and Collections