Connecting to Water and Sewer Services

Water and sewer service permitting for single parcel and multi-parcel projects.

Jump To:

Prerequisites Permits Issued Key Steps in the Process Submittal Requirements Expected Processing time Fees Next Steps

Water and Sewer Services are a part of any project that requires a connection to the City of Raleigh’s Water and Sewer System.  This process applies to the installation of new services and abandoning existing services.

Clients may now apply for the following permits for water and sewer connections with the Permit Application and the Water & Sewer Addendum. Permit Applications can be found at the top of the Development Forms in the “Most Popular Selections” box.

  • Right-of-Way Permits – Utility Service Installation (former street cut), and Street, Lane, and Sidewalk Obstruction Permits
  • Utility Connection – Meter installation
  • Utility Service – Stub Permit (Service from water or sewer mainline to parcel)
  • Plumbing Utility – (Water and sewer service from property line to the foundation)

Clients may now obtain the permits for a water and sewer service to a building or structure on an individual parcel during the Commercial Building Plan Review Process and Residential Building Plan Review for Single-family and Duplex with the respective Permit Application.

Clients will need to obtain the Stub Permits for Residential Subdivisions during the Site Permit Process prior to plat recordation with the Permit Application and the Water & Sewer Addendum.

Stub Permits for Commercial Subdivisions can be obtained during the Site Permit Process for the Administrative Site Review (ASR) process for each individual parcel in that subdivision. 

Please note that traffic control and pedestrian plan may need to be approved.  


Any contractor performing construction and repair work in the public right-of-way is required to provide a Certificate of Eligibility and a maximum $5,000.00 bond.

For further information see Raleigh Municipal Code section 11-6001 Permit and regulations for working in, upon, over, under or adjacent to the streets and sidewalks and supply this Contractor Bond Form to the Planning and Development Customer Service Center.

Permits Issued

A client can apply for the following permits for the water and sewer service installation during the building review process with the Permit Application:

  • Right-of-Way Permit - Street, Lane, and Sidewalk Obstruction. Please see the Right-of-Way Permitting Page.
  • Right-of-Way Permit - Utility installation (for asphalt or concrete work) in the public right-of-way (not required when performing tap in an easement)
  • Utility Connection Permit – Required to set the meter
  • Utility Service – Stub permit to make tap into City of Raleigh water or sewer main
  • Plumbing Utility – Install a water or sewer service line on private property or easement to the building

Key Steps in the Process

  • You may apply for an individual parcel during building review.  If the time frame of the installation is not known, please send an email to to notify the RW Coordinator of the start of work.
    • Include approved permit number for right-of-way permit (Obstruction)
    • Transaction number
    • Address
  • When applying for stubs to multiple parcels during site review, use the Permit application and the Addendum to acquire the Utility Service Permits ONLY.
  • You may apply for individual utility connection permits after infrastructure has been installed, during the Residential Building Plan review for Single-family and Duplex Process.
  • Plans showing the utility installation must be submitted in accordance with each individual process.
  • If you are applying for water and/or sewer service independent from any project, please submit the Permit Application, detailed plans showing the utility installation, a traffic control and pedestrian routing plan, and any other documentation.
  • If an approval for a traffic control and pedestrian routing setup for water and sewer installation is requested prior to the installation, please send a plan to Please allow 5 business days for review.
  • All Traffic Control and Pedestrian Routing Plans must include the Traffic Control and Pedestrian Plan Notes.   

Submittal Requirements



Required for Submittal for an individual parcel and Site Plans

  • Permit Application
  • Plans showing the utility installation
  • Traffic Control and Pedestrian Routing Plan

Site Permit Review

Next Day Permitting
Traffic Control and Pedestrian Routing Plan

Expected Processing time

Download our standard review times.


Next Steps

  • A preconstruction meeting is required for some projects. Please send an email with the word "Precon" and the Project name in the Subject Line to  
  • If the starting date was not known at the time of plan approval, send an email to when ready to start work with the following information:
    • Approved permit number for right-of-way permit (Obstruction)
    • Transaction number
    • Duration of work (days)
  • Failure to notify can result in a delay of the project. 
  • If the Traffic Control and Pedestrian Plan changed from the original approval, a field meeting must be scheduled with the Right-of-Way Services Coordinator. Please email for a meeting request.




Lead Department:
Planning and Development
Service Categories:
Permits - ResidentialPermits - Non-Residential



Related Events

  All events

Related Projects

  All projects