Nature Programs Drop-In Programs Group Programs Birthday Parties
Our mission is to make people aware of the importance of wetlands for clean water, habitat, and recreation while emphasizing the importance of human interaction with nature through programs, field trips, and special events.
We offer a variety of nature-based programs for all ages:
- Preschool Swamp Romp and Wee Wetland Walkers for the youngest children.
- Youth programs include Playing with the Elements, Kids Nature Nights, Beginning Worm Composting, and That’s So Gross mini-camps.
- Families can enjoy the Family Naturalists series and Family Vermicomposting.
- Adults programs include Introduction to Invasive Plants, Tree Identification, Creating a Backyard Habitat, Introduction to Rain Barrels and Rain Gardens, the Lifelong Learner Series
- Programs for developmentally disabled adults include guided hikes and mini-programs.
For current classes and activities, please call the Wetland Park.
The center offers free self-guided activities to enjoy anytime the park is open:
- Reading nook
- Scavenger hunt
- Greenway walk
- Each month features a different theme with interactive learning, a touch table, and related make-and-take craft.
We do green building tours free of charge. Please call ahead for groups larger than three.
Looking for great group programs and field trip destinations? We offer educational programs focusing on wetland science adapted to standard course of study. Browse our group program options below:
Preschool Swamp Romp
Who lives in a wetland? Spend time with a nature instructor learning about many of the interesting animals that call our wetland home. Activities may include stories, a craft, games, songs, and a greenway walk. Visit our regularly scheduled monthly Swamp Romps or schedule a private Swamp Romp for your school or group. Most programs can be customized to your needs. Recommended ages are from 2 to 6 years. The fee is $50 per class.
Don’t Eat the Cookie and Farm2Park: A Wetland History
*This curriculum for this program is being revised. During this process, the program is not available for registration.
This two-part field trip is specifically designed to meet third-grade standards. In part 1, students learn about tree life cycles while using perimeter and diameter measurements with tree cookies. Part 2 focuses on the history of the park, its community, and the community activists that worked to bring the park to fruition while telling a story and working with decade timelines. The fee for each part is $50.
Swamps are not dark, creepy places but critical elements in a healthy ecosystem, providing habitat for wildlife, mitigating flooding, neutralizing toxins in water, and filtering sediment. Forest walks, games, demonstrations, discussions, and hands-on activities will lead participants to a better understanding of the importance of wetlands. Recommended for grades 1 through 8. The fee is $50 per class.
Join a nature instructor to learn about what makes birds unique and how birds have adapted to use wetlands as homes. Participants will learn to identify common wetland species by their calls and field marks and, weather permitting, enjoy a guided walk through the wetland, where they can practice looking for signs of bird activity. Recommended for grades K through 5. The fee is $50 per class.
Group Program Requirements
- Maximum group size for all programs is 30 for classroom-only programs and 15 for wetland immersive programs.
- Reservations must be made at least three weeks before the requested date and can be made as early as August 1 for the current school year. Early planning and scheduling are advised!
- Payment in full is due at the time of booking and no later than 2 weeks before the program.
- Four 8-foot picnic tables and two large decks can accommodate classes that want to have lunch here.
Join us for a swamp soiree (wetlands), birdie birthday, or wetland wing-ding (bugs) birthday party! With a minimum 3-hour rental of either of our rooms, we can add an instructor-led nature-themed program for an additional $30. Maximum of 15 children. Call the park to request a birthday program be added to your rental.