Who is Eligible for MWBE Certification? Upcoming City of Raleigh Construction Projects How to Become a City of Raleigh MWBE Vendor?
Who is Eligible for MWBE Certification?
According to General Statute (143-128.2) a “minority business” is defined as:
- At least 51 percent owned and controlled by one or more minority persons or socially and economically disadvantaged individuals. The statute also includes corporations in which at least 51% of stock is owned by one or more minority or socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.
- The statute defines the term “minority person” as the following: Black, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian, Female
- A "socially and economically disadvantaged individual" is defined by reference to a federal statute (15 U.S. C. § 637). Socially disadvantaged individuals are "those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as a member of a group without regard to their individual qualities". Economically disadvantaged individuals "are those socially disadvantaged individuals whose ability to compete in the free enterprise system has been impaired due to diminished capital and credit opportunities as compared to others in the same business that are not socially disadvantaged".
Upcoming City of Raleigh Construction Projects
This 12-18 month look ahead document is designed to assist contractors/subcontractors in planning for upcoming construction opportunities with the City of Raleigh. Project description, projected timeline, and contact information are listed for your convenience.
How to Become a City of Raleigh MWBE Vendor?
Registration not only certifies you to do business with the City of Raleigh as a MWBE but also makes you eligible for work with the State of North Carolina.
1. Certify with one or both of the following agencies:
|NCDOA Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUB)||1336 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-1336
Certification Specialist, 919-807-2433
|NCDOT Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (DBE)||1511 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699
DBE Certification Officer, 919-508-1941
2. Sign up as a supplier with the City of Raleigh
Once your business is an approved certified MWBE visit the New Supplier Registration section of Supplier Registration and Update Process to sign up.