About Shelter Adoption Participant Duties How to Adopt-A-Shelter
Adopt-A-Shelter is a program that helps businesses, individuals, community organizations and schools make a real difference in their neighborhoods by "adopting" local bus shelters.
About Shelter Adoption
GoRaleigh, the City of Raleigh's transit program, maintains more than 200 bus shelters in the Raleigh area. Participants in the program assist by removing trash in and around the shelter on a monthly (or more frequent) basis. Adopters also assist by alerting transit staff of special maintenance needs and reporting vandalism or suspicious activity. In short, by adopting a shelter you can help keep your community safe and clean.
GoRaleigh offers appreciation and recognition for the individuals, groups, or businesses who adopt shelters. When you or your group adopts a bus shelter, a personalized decal will be installed for display in the shelter with your personal or organizational name or logo.
Participants who sign up to support the Adopt-A-Shelter Program agree to adopt and maintain a bus shelter on a monthly basis for a period of 12 months. Adoption responsibilities include:
- Remove trash around the shelter and bus stop area
- Report shelter damage or special maintenance needs to Transit Staff
- Report any signs of graffiti at the shelter area to Transit Staff
- Report any signs of criminal behavior and/or suspicious packages in or around the shelter area to Raleigh Police
How to Adopt-A-Shelter
- View our online map to see and adopt available shelters.
- You will receive a confirmation email asking you to fill out the Adopt-A-Shelter Agreement Form with the requested shelter location your organization would like to adopt. Return the agreement form by e-mail.
- Once staff has received your completed form, we will provide you with trash bags, disposable gloves and safety vests so you may begin trash removal at your adopted shelter.
Please allow 2-4 weeks for your shelter adoption to start. An additional 2-4 weeks may be needed to complete your shelter decal.