How They Work
Stormwater Control Measures (SCMs) are devices used to control and clean stormwater runoff that flows onto a property when it rains. These devices remove pollution from rainwater and help reduce flooding and erosion to downstream properties.
Types of Devices
- Level Spreader
- Rain Garden/Bioretention
- Underground Detention/Pipe
- Constructed Wetland/Water Garden
- Wet Pond
- Permeable Pavement
- Dry Pond
- Sand Filter
- Protected, Undisturbed Land (Open Space)
What We Track
We track the maintenance of:
- About 94 devices owned and operated by the City of Raleigh; and,
- More than 2,200 devices on private property to make sure they are working correctly.
We keep up-to-date maps and inventory of stormwater devices, pipes, and drains. Staff also determines when the City or resident needs to update the stormwater system.