An emergency action plan for dams identifies:
- Potential emergency conditions;
- Affected areas; and,
- Steps to follow if a dam fails.
Planning ahead and being prepared reduces impacts to:
- People; and,
- Water infrastructure and resources.
The goal of the plan is to keep people as safe as possible.
You are responsible for developing, maintaining, and following the emergency action plan for your dam.
North Carolina Dam Safety require these plans. You need to be able to:
- Detect an issue and how severe it is;
- Let people know about the emergency; and,
- Know what actions need to be taken to protect people living near the dam.
Questions? Contact North Carolina Dam Safety at 919-707-9220.