2021-2022 Human Services Agency Funding Application General Eligibility Requirements Ineligible Expenses Application Process How to Apply Virtual Workshop! Register Today Sign Up! MyRaleigh Subscriptions
Raleigh's Human Relations Commission reviews requests from human services agencies seeking funding from the City and makes recommendations to the City Council. The grants are awarded annually to nonprofits that provide direct services to low- income Raleigh residents who identify with one of the targeted groups: elderly, youth, individuals with a disability, individuals who use substances, and are homeless.
2021-2022 Human Services Agency Funding Application
The 2021-2022 Human Services Agency funding application is now available!
If you are interested in the 2021-2022 application, download and complete the below application and application guidelines.
General Eligibility Requirements
The following criteria are minimum qualifications for an application to be considered. All funding recommendations will be based on available funds.
- Raleigh Headquarters: The organization’s headquarters must be located within the corporate limits of the City of Raleigh. Agency headquarter address is verified through NC Secretary of State records.
- Not-for-Profit & 501c3 Status: Human services grant funds may be awarded only to not-for-profit organizations with 501c3 status, that have federal and state tax-exempt status. To ensure tax-exempt status, the organization’s IRS Form 990 from the most recently completed fiscal year will be reviewed.
- Population Served: Proposed programs and projects must benefit low income persons and households residing in Raleigh.
- Agency Experience: Qualified applicants must have at least one year of recent experience in the delivery of services to the specified target group(s) and demonstrate sensitivity to the special needs of their clientele.
- One Year Program Service Delivery: Only projects or programs that have been established and providing services for at least one year will be considered.
- Request Amounts: Request must not exceed 25% of the agency’s total actual operating expenses for the last completed fiscal year. Additionally, requests must not exceed 50% of the total project budget.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Must have an adequate financial management system in place to maintain effective control and accountability over all funds, property, and other assets covered by this proposal. Must be able to produce sufficient backup documentation for costs of the project and files for review and audit.
- Agency Audits: If the application request is more than $25,000, the organization’s most recent audited financial statements and audit letter must be submitted. Must not have any outstanding audit deficiencies, findings, or disallowed costs from previous projects or activities.
- Raleigh Grant Programs: Organizations may apply for funding in up to two City grant programs per year.
The following expenses will not be covered by the grant.
- Administrative/ Operational Expenses- These costs include administrative staff, rent/ mortgage, utilities, insurance, furnishings/ equipment, depreciation, audit, communications (telephone, internet, IT support), that are not directly related to program/ project delivery.
- Individuals- Individuals are not eligible to apply directly for funding.
- Housing Construction
- Organizations Receiving Arts Program Support - Organizations receiving multi-year funding from Raleigh’s Arts Commission Grant Program are ineligible for funding.
Based on recommendations by the Raleigh Human Relations Commission, the City of Raleigh awards Human Services Agency Funding annually to non-profit organizations headquartered in Raleigh.
The annual grant cycle is similar each year and generally follows the below sequence:
|January||Equity and Inclusion receives completed applications.|
|February||Applications are reviewed by the grants committee. The committee review process includes a mandatory applicant panel interview.|
The grants committee presents their funding recommendations to the Human Relations Commission.
|April||Once approved, recommendations are presented to City Council for inclusion in the annual budget process.|
|May - June||City Council will make the final decision regarding Human Service Agency funding. All agencies will be notified of the final funding decision.|
How to Apply
Agencies must submit:
- One (1) printed application with original signature; and
- One (1) electronic version of the application (submitted via email)
Printed Application Submission:
- Printed applications must be clipped together, enclosed in an envelope or
- package and clearly marked with the name of the submitting agency.
- Complete all sections of the application and number the pages sequentially, except for the attached documents.
- Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Submit all required supporting documentation (e.g. audit report, articles of incorporation, etc.) and a signed copy of the application checklist.
Electronic Version of Application Submission:
The electronic version of the application must be emailed as a viewable and printable Adobe PDF document to Equity and Inclusion at HumanRelations@raleighnc.gov. Once received, you will receive an email confirmation.
Both hard copy and electronic versions of the application must be received by Equity and Inclusion on or before the due date and time. Applications received after the due date will not be accepted or considered.
|Delivered by U.S. Postal Service|
|City of Raleigh
ATTN: Marquita Mbonu, Equity and Inclusion
|PO Box 590
Raleigh, NC 27602
Virtual Workshop! Register Today
Any Raleigh nonprofit interested in applying for the 2021-2022 Human Services Agency Funding may attend one of the scheduled virtual informational workshops. Workshop attendance is optional.
Date: Thursday, December 3, 2020
Time: 2:00pm- 3:15pm
Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YB9MZLnFR0GMeGUhP8Mv5A
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2020
Time: 10:00am- 11:15am
Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_umesNLphT1yKbj20FucThQ