The easiest and most accurate way to determine zoning for any part of the City of Raleigh is with iMAPS. IMAPS is a web-based mapping platform managed by Wake County.
IMAPS is very similar to other interactive online maps that allow you to search for addresses, measure distances, or look at satellite images. What makes iMAPS special is that it also gives you access to Wake County’s tax data and a wide range of regulatory and policy information from the City of Raleigh, including the Official Zoning Map.
To find your zoning on iMAPS:
- Search for an address, parcel identification number (PIN), real estate ID, or property owner in the search box in the upper right-hand corner.
- Once you have located your area of interest, click on the ‘Layers’ bar in the lower right-hand corner.
- Scroll down the list, and turn on the layers labeled ‘Zoning’ and ‘Overlays’.
- Look at your area of interest on the map. It will now be labeled with the zoning and overlay districts that apply to that area.
To find the zoning conditions for a site, follow steps 1 through 4 above and then:
- Click on the ‘Tools’ bar in the upper left-hand corner.
- Click the ‘Identify’ tool (the white circle with a lower-case ‘i’ inside of it).
- Click on your area of interest. A pop-up box should appear.
- In the pop-up box, find the row labeled ‘Link to Conditions’.
- Click the link to download or open a PDF file of the zoning conditions.
A Zoning Verification Letter provides a letter from the Development Services Department confirming the zoning district(s) for any given parcel of land as well any applicable zoning conditions that are on the parcel. A separate application must be submitted for each parcel.
A Zoning Verification Letter does not provide a determination as to the compliance or noncompliance of any existing land uses on the property.