Camera being held by photographer

Filming and Photography Requests

Film or still photography production that requires use of City facilities, including roads, sidewalks, or buildings, may require a Film and Photography Permit from the Office of Special Events. For information regarding film or still photography within City parks, please see details below under Parks Photography for permitting through the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department.

How to Apply for a Film and Photography Permit from the Office of Special Events

  1. Read the Special Event Planning Guide
  2. Contact the Special Events Office to determine date and location availability and to verify that your activity will require a permit.
  3. Complete the Film and Photography Application.
  4. Submit the $50 non-refundable application fee over the phone, in person, or via mail. Instructions for payment submittal are included on the Application Fee Payment Form.

Until both the application and application fee are received, your application will not be considered complete and your materials will not be reviewed. Submitting an application does NOT guarantee that your production will be approved.

Deadlines: We recommend that applications for extensive filming spanning multiple days or locations be submitted at least 30 days in advance. Low impact productions can often be processed sooner. We will attempt to accommodate requests within reason but cannot guarantee an application will be reviewed if it is not submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to the shoot date.

View general information on filming in the State of North Carolina, including information on statewide regulations

Parks Photography

Professional photographers are welcome to have sessions at parks, however, all commercial film or photography taking place in a City of Raleigh Park requires a permit. You can apply for an annual film permit directly through the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department. This is a one year permit and covers all City of Raleigh Parks.

Photography Permit Application

To apply for the permit, please contact Jennie Saponaro at 919-996-4905 or



Raleigh Municipal Building
222 W. Hargett St.
Suite 307
Raleigh, NC 27601


Lead Department:
Special Events Office
Service Categories:
Special Events