Before You Start How To Apply Processing Time Monitoring Your Project Fees
If you are planning to add a fence or replace an existing fence to your yard, you must first obtain permits from the City before beginning construction. Once permitted and construction is underway, the project must be inspected by the city.
How To Apply
For a new or replacement fence, the following is required:
- Complete the Residential Permit Application
- Complete the Residential Site Plan Checklist
- Provide a diagram of the fence (picture of the proposed fence)
- Provide a survey indicating the proposed work on the property. This can be done in two ways:
- You may submit an original survey (signed and sealed by a land surveyor) that shows the proposed work. Please know we cannot accept a certified survey that has been revised by anyone outside of the surveyor.
- If the certified survey does not show the proposed work submit it and a supplemental copy of the survey. The supplemental copy is a copy that does not show the surveyor's credentials (seal, signature, name, or any reference to the surveyor). On this copy, you may draw in the proposed work.
Please send a PDF of the entire application packet (with all documents) to DowntownDS@raleighnc.gov.
Please see our development review turnaround times.
Monitoring Your Project
The Permit and Development Portal is a great way to manage your project activity online. Once you have registered an account, you are able to view your project work flow, pay fees, or schedule inspections.
Visit our permit portal help center for a list of frequently asked questions and a direct link to the portal.
Permit fees are due when permits are issued. For current fees, see the Development Fee Guide.
Fees can be paid online via a registered account in the Permit and Development Portal.