Portal User Guides General + Miscellaneous Registration + Account Inspections Best Practices
Permit and Development Portal Registration Process Changes
On December 13, 2023, the Permit and Development Portal is launching a new login process. This will enhance security and optimize your Permit and Development Portal experience. When logging in for the first time, you will be required to register using the same email you have previously used for the Permit and Development Portal. This updated login will automatically link to your existing permits and plans.
Please read the following materials BEFORE you try to register:
The Permit and Development Portal is a tool used to manage development review and permitting processes. The portal features a number of benefits for users, including:
- A centralized dashboard to monitor your development projects.
- More, real-time notifications throughout the review process.
- View development activity near you.
- Enhanced, online scheduling for inspections.
- The option to pay fees online.
Permit payments for Merger Communities: Customers will be able to pay for utility connection and stub permits in Merger Communities on this Permit and Development Portal starting December 1.
Portal User Guides
General + Miscellaneous
- What is the permit and development portal?
A tool you can use to manage your permitting and development activity in the City of Raleigh. You can schedule inspections, pay fees, and monitor all projects in the portal.
- What can I do in the portal?
The City of Raleigh is regularly adding new case types to the portal in order to better serve our customers. Please visit the permit portal to view all projects currently being accepted. Please subscribe to our email list to receive updates on new case types.
- How do I make a payment via the portal?
You can find step-by-step instructions on paying for an invoice under the 'Portal Payment Guide' above.
- Is there a credit card limit when paying fees online? Can I pay with a check?
The City of Raleigh has a limit of $20,000 for all credit card payments. You also have the ability to pay development fees on the Planning and Development Permit Portal using your checking or savings account via the eCheck option. eCheck payments greater that $95,000 cannot be accepted at this time.
- Can I use any browser to log into the portal?
The following web browsers are supported: Google Chrome (recommended), Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari.
- Why can’t I find my address when I search for it?
Make sure you only put in the street number and street name when searching for the address. Do not include the suffix when searching for your address (i.e. exclude Drive, Parkway, Road, etc.). Also, make sure you click the magnifying glass to conduct the search.
Registration + Account
Do I need to register to use the portal?
Yes, if you are trying obtain permits or manage development activity. Registration is required for all users. Visit the permit portal website register.
- If you need to perform a general search on the portal, click the drop-down arrow next to the word "Guest" in the top right corner, click "log in" and you will be walked through the steps. You do not need to register to search the available public records.
I am having issues with my account. (Example: I don't see complete project information).
Please complete the Portal Help Form send it via email to the Planning and Development Customer Service Center.
I don't see my confirmation email in my inbox.
Please check your spam or other email folders, as sometimes the registration email is delivered to those locations, depending on your email provider.
I received the confirmation email, but the "confirm" link is text only and I cannot click to confirm.
This is a security feature put in place by your email provider. Please follow the instructions from your email provider to release the security settings.
Can I use my Wake County permit portal login information to log into the City of Raleigh Permit and Development Portal?
No. While the City of Raleigh and Wake County do use the same permitting software, each system is configured differently. Therefore you must register a new account for the City of Raleigh Permit and Development Portal.
The portal says my account has been locked out because I entered the wrong password. What do I do?
Wait three minutes and try again. As long as you remember your password and are entering it correctly, it will let you in after it resets. If you need to reset your password, click the Forgot Password link and you will receive an email to reset your password.
How do I schedule an inspection?
Log in to the portal and click the "Inspections" tab on your project. Any contact listed on a project is able to schedule an inspection once they are registered in the portal.
How do I know who my inspector will be?
Your inspector information will populate in the portal the morning of the day that your inspection is scheduled. We are not able to provide an exact time of arrival for your inspector. Please plan accordingly.
I am unable to schedule my inspection in the portal.
Please email Field Services if you are unable to schedule an inspection.
The Permit and Development Portal is constantly undergoing maintenance and upgrades in order to provide the best permitting experience to our customers. As adjustments are made to the portal platform, please follow the instructions below if you experience issues when applying for permits.
Check Your Browser
- Google Chrome is the recommended web browser. Other supported web browsers are Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari.
Clear Your Cache
The cache is something we all have on our computers. It stores data so that future requests for that data can be sent faster. To clear your cache in Chrome:
- Click the Tools menu (three dotted lines in the upper-right corner).
- Select More Tools.
- Select Clear Browsing Data
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Set the Time Range set to All Time.
- Check all boxes (except Passwords and other sign-in data and Autofill data.)
- Click Clear data.
- Close and re-open all Chrome windows to save your changes.
Do Not Bookmark
- Refrain from bookmarking a particular permit submittal or case type in your browser. As updates are made to the portal, old links can provide outdated information or not load properly.
Other Tips for Success
- Make sure your web browser pop-up blocker is off.
- Make sure the keyboard Caps Lock is off.
- Remember your Password is case-sensitive!
- All previously created templates and/or saved drafts must be deleted and recreated. For a successful submittal, allow files to upload prior to moving to a different screen or tab. Clicking off the screen can interrupt the upload process.