Award Categories Past Winners
The City of Raleigh Human Relations Commission Awards Banquet honors local individuals and organizations that make outstanding contributions to advancing human rights in our city, solidifying Raleigh’s reputation and recognition as a great place to live.
- Individual Award | This award recognizes an individual dedicated to community service that promotes and supports human relations throughout the City of Raleigh.
- Organization Award | This award recognizes a non-profit organization that provides outreach programs in Raleigh that supports and promotes human relations and dignity.
- George Sanders Youth Award | This award is given to a high school student dedicated to community service that promotes and supports human relations throughout the City of Raleigh.
Theme was “The Destiny of Human Rights is in the hands of All” Winners of the 2019 Human Relations Awards were honored February 21 at the Human Relations Commission’s 30th Annual Awards Banquet, held at the Raleigh Convention Center.
- Individual Award Winner - John "Sean" Doyle - Sean Doyle dedicates his time and writes about increasing hope, fostering positive relations and injecting more humanity into the community. For years, Sean has dedicated his time to organizing and leading free talks, workshops, and meetups throughout Raleigh focused on promoting flourishing and well-being in both our personal lives and communities.
- Organizational Award Winner - Light House Project - The Lighthouse Project works to drive out darkness with light in the aftermath of the Chapel Hill Shootings by operating as an incubator for faith-based nonprofit work targeting youth. They work to provide Triangle area youth with access to resources, a nurturing environment, and a voice in hopes of making them feel safe, valued, and empowered.
- George Sanders Youth Award Winner - Scyler Snowden - Scyler is a graduating senior at Wakefield High School. She is a member of the Black Student Union, Feminist Club, National Technical Honors Society, and Future Farmers of America (FAA). Scyler is a dynamic motivational speaker. She is passionate about helping youth, issues of sustainability in horticultural & animal science, and racial equity education geared toward millennials.