Downtown Raleigh Business Services Downtown Raleigh Collection Schedule Fee Structure What Businesses are Recycling? Central Business District Solid Waste Regulations Businesses Outside Downtown Raleigh
Are you a business owner that is interested in recycling or garbage collection?
The City of Raleigh provides curbside collection of garbage and recyclable materials to businesses that meet eligibility guidelines.
Downtown Raleigh Business Services
Downtown Raleigh businesses may qualify for curbside collection of garbage and recyclable materials. Solid Waste Services runs daily routes through the Central Business District. Solid Waste Services defines the District as the area bounded by Peace Street to the north, Blount Street to the east, Cabarrus Street to the south, and West Street to the west.
All garbage customers must also purchase recycling carts. Some companies that do not receive City garbage service may still be eligible for "recycling only" collection and should contact SWS for more information.
Want to Sign up for City Garbage or Recycling Service?
- Call Solid Waste Services at 919-996-3245 to see if your business qualifies for service.
- A code enforcement officer will visit your site to assess it.
- If your site qualifies, purchase carts and set up billing.
Downtown Raleigh Collection Schedule
Customers in the Central Business District should set out waste between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. for evening collection. For morning collection, waste should be placed on the curb between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.. All empty carts, along with any uncollected waste, must be removed from the curb by 9:30 a.m. the day after collection.
Monthly CBD fees are:
- One day garbage and recycling: $17.05
- One day recycling only: $2.60
- Six days (Mon – Sat) garbage and recycling: $102.30
- Six days recycling only: $50
- Seven days garbage and recycling: $119.35
- Seven days recycling only: $58
What Businesses are Recycling?
Solid Waste Services collects garbage and recyclable materials from more than 130 locations in downtown Raleigh. This diverse customer group includes restaurants, bars, stores, and many small companies.
ABC permit holders that need recycling inspections for a new or renewal permit should call 919-996-3245 to schedule a visit.
Central Business District Solid Waste Regulations
The following information explains how solid waste is to be handled properly in the Central Business District. This information serves as a reminder and a warning of the civil penalty for continued violations.
- Garbage and recycling are collected Monday through Saturday.
- All refuse and recycling must be placed on the curb for collection no earlier than 3 p.m. but no later than 5:30 p.m.
- All refuse must be put in the green City-issued bags or trash containers.
- Any refuse not put in the green City of Raleigh containers or bags will be considered improperly prepared for collection.
- All restaurants and bars must use City carts to prevent leakage on sidewalks.
- Blue carts are for recycling only.
- Corrugated cardboard is a recyclable item.
- Corrugated cardboard must be broken down into pieces no larger than 3 ft x 3 ft, stacked, and secured.
- All trash carts, recycling carts, and uncollected waste must be removed from the curb by 9:30 am the day after collection.
- Yard waste and building materials will NOT be collected.
- Refuse put out before 3 p.m., after 5:30 p.m., or on Sundays is a violation of Raleigh Municipal Code.
- Violation of these regulations is subject up to a $500 civil penalty.
Businesses Outside Downtown Raleigh
Businesses located outside downtown Raleigh may qualify for curbside collection. Garbage service is provided weekly and recyclable materials are collected every other week. Businesses may not receive yard waste collection.
Unlike residents, businesses must purchase garbage and recycling carts from the City. Businesses are limited to a maximum of two carts for garbage and two for recycling. In addition to the one-time costs of purchasing carts, participating businesses will pay the Residential Curbside Service fees. Currently, those fees total $15.55 per month.
Want to Know if Your Business Qualifies for Service?
Call 919-996-3245 and choose option 4. A Solid Waste Services Code Enforcement Officer will visit your location to decide if it qualifies for service. Eligible businesses must have adequate space to store carts when they are not out for collection. Generally, mixed-use developments do not qualify for City collection.