The Raleigh Historic Development Commission serves as the City Council's official historic preservation advisory body to identify, preserve, protect, and promote Raleigh's historic resources. The RHDC consists of twelve members, appointed by City Council to overlapping two-year terms. Members have a demonstrated interest or training in fields related to historic preservation and reside within the city's extraterritorial jurisdiction (at least one-quarter must live or own property in designated historic overlay districts or historic landmarks).
Predecessor organization established by Mayor Dec. 18, 1961; historic districts commission established by Ordinance No. (1973) 484, Revised by Ordinance (1992) 66 TC 399 - 12 Members.
RHDC Business Meeting
Current Agenda - October 17, 2023
A public meeting of the Raleigh Historic Development Commission is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 17 at 7:45 a.m.
Conference Room 108
One Exchange Plaza
Raleigh, NC 27601
The Commission typically meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:45 a.m. Meeting agendas are added to the BoardDocs agenda management portal. To watch past meetings, visit our video services page.
Commission and committee meetings are open to the public. Note that meetings can be subject to change, following public notice of at least 48 hours.
Some meeting dates may differ from the following times due to holidays; check with commission staff to verify a particular meeting time and place if you are planning to attend.
Powers and Duties
The commission's significant powers and duties include:
- Inventory historically-significant properties
- Make recommendations to City Council regarding the designation of historic landmarks or districts, changes to ordinances affecting historic preservation, ways in which community preservation efforts may be coordinated and strengthened, acquisition of properties by the city, and revisions to the historic preservation element of the City's Comprehensive Plan
- Review and act on proposals for exterior changes to historic landmarks and properties in historic districts
- Issue Certificates of Appropriateness
- Restore, preserve, operate, or own historic properties
- Conduct educational programs
- Provide design review assistance on minor work proposals (staff) and on major exterior changes (Design Review Advisory Committee)
- Publish books and periodicals relative to the City's historic preservation program such as:
- "A Primer for Property Owners & Residents of Raleigh Historic Districts"
- "Culture Town: Life in Raleigh's African American Communities"
- "Early Raleigh Neighborhoods: Boylan Heights, Cameron Park, Downtown, Glenwood"
Certificate of Appropriateness Committee
Exterior changes to property within a Raleigh Historic Overlay District or to a Raleigh Historic Landmark require a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA). The COA Committee decides on major work COA applications by a public hearing at their monthly meeting. COA application process information and COA meeting participation instructions are available on the Certificate of Appropriateness page.
The Research Committee meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 a.m. in Conference Room 301 (Nash Conference Room) of the One Exchange Plaza building. The current Research Committee agenda can be found on BoardDocs.
Community Awareness Committee
The Community Awareness Committee meets on the first Tuesday of the month at 4:00 p.m. in the Nash Conference Room, Suite 300 of the One Exchange Plaza building. The current Community Awareness Committee agenda can be found on BoardDocs.
Tania Tully: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-996-2674
Collette Kinane: email@example.com or 919-996-2649 (COA related questions)
Erin Morton: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-996-2632 (COA related questions)
Both meetings have been moved to BoardDocs. View agendas and minutes from March 2019 for the Business Meeting and May 2020 for the COA Committee there.
ZIP file downloads (items older than January 2020):
RHDC Business Minutes
Certificate of Appropriateness Minutes
Return to all Boards and Commissions page.