Right of Way Services

How to get a permit for occupying the right-of-way.

Jump To:

Before You Start Get A Permit What if my permit expires? Who Maintains The Street? Right of Way Provisions

Before You Start

It is important to know that any contractor performing work in the public right-of-way is required to provide a minimum of $5,000 bond during the application process. Contractors must have general liability insurance.

Get A Permit

All right-of-way permits must applied for via a registered account in the Permit and Development Portal. 

Please select "Street, Lane, and Sidewalk Closures and Dumpster or POD placement" once you are in the portal.
A map/plan must be submitted for all work in the right-of-way. 


What if my permit expires?

When a permit expires and the work is not completed an extension can be granted, but you must reapply through the permit and development portal. 

Who Maintains The Street?

Need to know if a street is maintained by the City, State, or a privately entity? View the City, State and Private Street Map to help you determine who maintains a specific street. This information will be helpful as other permits and documentation may be required. 

Right of Way Provisions

All permit holders are expected to follow the Right of Way Provisions for all work taking place within Raleigh’s Public right of way.





Lead Department:
Service Categories:
Permits - ResidentialPermits - Commercial Transportation Development Review