About 2022 Awards Categories Previous Recipients
Volunteerism plays a vital role in determining the quality of life for the citizens of Raleigh and in the diverse and numerous offerings of the Raleigh Parks Department. No one exemplified the spirit of volunteerism more than Fred Fletcher.
The Fred Fletcher Outstanding Volunteer Awards honor Fred's 54 years of dedicated service to Raleigh Parks by honoring the volunteers who have made outstanding contributions to the programs and services offered by the Department.
Please note the following Know Before You Go information for attending the 2022 Fred Fletcher Awards Ceremony.
Masks are not required but welcome.
- All bags are now subject to search and must meet new size requirements. A small clutch or wallet is recommended and no bags larger than 12" x 12" x 10" will be allowed, this includes backpacks, camera bags, and large purses. *For family shows diaper bags are allowed for guests with infants and toddlers (child must be present).
- In addition to our new bag policy, guests will now be required to enter through a security screening, which includes the use of a metal detector. Secondary hand-scanning has been eliminated.
- To minimize face-to-face contact, guests will be required to empty pockets and walk-through metal detectors in case of an unsatisfactory or incomplete scan. If a secondary bag screening is required, guests will be provided with a clean surface to empty the bag’s contents.
- Prohibited Items Include:
- Weapons of any kind (Knives, Pepper spray, Guns, etc…)
- Outside food and beverage
- Camera bags
- Large purses (over 12"x12"x10").
*Flat lots in front of the auditorium is zone #7004
Address to the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts (Meymandi Concert Hall)
2 E. South Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Recognize an important volunteer or volunteer group in your community by submitting a nomination.
2022 Fred Fletcher Outstanding Volunteer Awards Nomination Forms
Anyone can nominate a Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources volunteer for an award. Awards will not necessarily be made in every category, nor are there a predetermined number of awards that will be given in a category in any given year.
For a nomination to be eligible it must meet the following criteria:
- A nominee may be nominated in only one category by the same person
- Only one nomination per form
- All nominations and supporting materials must be postmarked or submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 21, 2022.
- Supporting materials may include letters, press clippings, videotapes, or any other material that may be helpful in the selection process. These materials will not be returned
- Nominees for a given award category may not have previously received a Fred Fletcher Outstanding Volunteer Award
- Nominee must be an active Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Volunteer during the past year
Nominations will be evaluated based on the following:
- Nominee’s intensity of service
- Nominee’s active involvement within the past five years
- Nominee’s commitment to Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
Nomination forms are due 5 p.m. on Friday, January 21, 2022. After completing your nomination form, any supporting materials may be emailed to Mary Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award of Excellence
Presented to a person who exhibits the best example of voluntary action to improve the quality of services and/or facilities of the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Department. Contributions of this volunteer should have a continuing impact on the equality of services or facilities offered by the department.
Outstanding Financial Contributor
Presented to an individual or organization that has made a significant donation (Monetary or in-kind) to the department.
Outstanding Athletic Volunteer
Presented to a volunteer who demonstrates a high degree of personal commitment needed to organize, teach, and instill, good sportsmanship, and enhance the Athletic Program.
Outstanding Greenway Volunteer
Presented to an individual or group who has consistently demonstrated devotion to the care or enhancement of the City’s greenway system.
Outstanding Adopt-a-Park Volunteer
Presented to an individual or group who has consistently demonstrated care above and beyond the call of duty for a specific Raleigh park as a leader in the City’s Adopt-A-Park program.
Outstanding Adult Program Volunteer
Presented to an individual that demonstrates a high commitment and effort towards the enhancement of Active Adult Programs.
Outstanding Volunteer Group/Organization
Presented to a group or organization that contributes time or talent to enhance park facilities and/or programs.
Outstanding Park Volunteer
Presented to an individual who has consistently demonstrated devotion to the care or enhancement of a City park.
Outstanding Project Volunteer
Presented to a volunteer who shares time and effort towards the enhancement of a specific park-related project.
Outstanding Program Volunteer
Presented to a volunteer who shares time, talent, and efforts towards the enhancement of a specific program.
Outstanding Teen Volunteer
Presented to a teen that demonstrates a high degree of commitment to a program, event, or park.
Outstanding Specialized Recreation Volunteer
Presented to an individual that demonstrates a high degree of commitment towards the enhancement of the specialized recreation services program.
Outstanding Cultural Resources Volunteer
Presented to an individual or group who has consistently demonstrated devotion towards the enhancement of historic resources, arts, cultural, and/or diversity programs.