An overflow from a manhole in the parking lot of fats, oils, and grease that clogged the sewer system.

Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG)

Help prevent water pollution

Jump To:

Stormwater Pollution Prevention Report a F.O.G Incident or Water Pollution

Fats, oils, and grease discharges are a common type of an illicit discharge. These usually consist of cooking oil, butter, food grease, and other by-products of food. The EPA estimates that roughly 47% of reported sewer blockages and overflows are due to grease from restaurants, homes, and industrial sources. When fats, oils and grease enter the sewer system, they solidify and accumulate at the surface. This leads to blockages, sewer backups, pipes bursting, and overflows that can enter our storm system. Refer to our Sanitary Sewer Overflow page for more information.

The City of Raleigh has a Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) program that hands out permits and inspects grease interceptors around the city to make sure they are maintained regularly and properly working. See the FOG program website for more information.

Stormwater Pollution Prevention

An overflow from a manhole in the parking lot of fats, oils, and grease that clogged the sewer system.

Follow these tips to help protect our waterways. Most blockages in our sewer systems are avoidable with your help!

  • Use a paper towel or other dry methods to clean up FOG spills, then throw it in the garbage. If you use wet methods, even a sponge or mop rinsed into the sink, FOG materials then go down the drain and into the sewer system where they may cause a blockage. Small amounts add up to large amounts in our storm and sewer systems.
  • Keep FOG out of the garbage disposal, even if it is connected to a grease trap.
  • Collect and recycle the FOG.
    • For example: After cooking bacon, pour the bacon grease into a can until solidified. This bacon grease can either be re-used or disposed of in the garbage.
  • Expand and utilize your knowledge on how FOG and certain household products can clog your sewer service line, or the sewer system.

Also see the Raleigh Water FAQ webpage for further assistance.

Report a F.O.G Incident or Water Pollution

To report a sewer back-up or overflow, please send an email to publicutilityinfo@raleighnc.govor call 919-996-3245.

If any of the overflow material is entering the storm sewer system, contact our illicit discharge hotline at or 919-996-3940.

Engineering Services
Service Categories:
Related Services:
Water Pollution