Are you interested in serving your community, but you’re not sure where to start? Are you currently involved in service, but are interested in knowing what other ways you can help? Are you an organization that is looking for ways to recognize your current volunteers or would like to recruit more?
Volunteer Raleigh connects people to volunteer opportunities within City departments, City-funded agencies and organizations that provide services to enhance the quality of life for our neighborhoods and communities.
Volunteers provide more than 118,000 hours of service to over 50 nonprofit and public agencies, which saves the community approximately $2.6 million.
How to Get Started
Volunteer Raleigh offers opportunities for those 18 years of age and up.
- You pick the time that best fits your schedule and how many hours you want to volunteer. New volunteers are encouraged to visit several potential sites before deciding on a placement.
- Once you have decided where you would like to serve, your site will set up orientation and training time.
- Some sites do require an additional application as well as a background check, please be sure to ask if you are unsure if these things are required of you.
Volunteer Raleigh Paper Registration
Volunteer Raleigh Online Registration
Orientation and Training
Depending on the site you are interested in serving with, that site will have specific requirements for orientation and training. Some sites require you shadow current volunteers, while others do require a background check before you can start volunteering.
Be sure to check with the Volunteer Coordinator at your site or with Volunteer Raleigh to be sure of the requirements.
You will receive the training you need before you volunteer! Volunteer Raleigh and our partners are dedicated to ensuring volunteers are trained to fulfill their roles effectively.
Here are a few things volunteering can help you do:
- Meet new people and expand your network
- Improve your health and happiness
- Give back to your community
- Discover your goals and aspirations
- Learn and grow new skills
- Help advance your career by adding to your resume
Volunteering allows the organizations to expand services and reach greater need that they would not be able to offer without the help from volunteers. Volunteering leads you to find the joy of serving others and helping to improve your community.
When you register to be part of the Volunteer Raleigh program, you also receive:
- T-Shirt and Volunteer Raleigh gear based on the number of hours you serve
- Connection to a growing network of volunteers and opportunities around the City of Raleigh and Wake County
- Invitation to the Annual Volunteer Awards Banquet in the Spring, based on how many hours you serve
Many volunteer opportunities exist with local organizations that support a variety of focus areas such as community, crisis support, economic, youth/education, food security, health, homelessness/housing, and seniors. View a comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities available through various local organizations in Raleigh.
Volunteer Raleigh Enrichment Fund
The City provides this funding to encourage volunteerism across our City and surrounding communities. The funds enable organizations to carry out projects that they have initiated to support volunteers who serve in a variety of settings, including community outreach, social justice, education and youth, food security, economic impact, animal services, and environmental impact. Learn more