The City of Raleigh collections of recyclable materials to businesses that meet eligibility guidelines and to multi-family complexes like townhomes, apartments and condominiums.
The rules and guidelines for pick up vary depending on where your business is located.
Downtown Raleigh Business Services
Downtown Raleigh businesses may qualify for curbside collection of recyclables. Solid Waste Services runs daily routes through the Central Business District. Solid Waste Services defines the District as the area bounded by Peace Street to the north, Blount Street to the east, Cabarrus Street to the south, and West Street to the west.
All garbage customers must also purchase recycling carts. Some companies that do not receive City garbage service may still be eligible for "recycling only" collection and should contact SWS for more information.
Want to Sign up for Recycling Service?
- Call Solid Waste Services at 919-996-3245 to see if your business qualifies for service.
- A code enforcement officer will visit your site to assess it.
- If your site qualifies, purchase carts and set up billing.
Downtown Raleigh Collection Schedule
Customers in the Central Business District should set out recyclables between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. for evening collection. For morning collection, recyclables should be placed on the curb between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. All empty carts, along with any uncollected waste, must be removed from the curb by 9:30 a.m. the day after collection.
Monthly CBD fees are:
- One day garbage and recycling: $17.05
- One day recycling only: $2.60
- Six days (Mon – Sat) garbage and recycling: $102.30
- Six days recycling only: $50
- Seven days garbage and recycling: $119.35
- Seven days recycling only: $58
What Types of Businesses Do We Serve?
Solid Waste Services collects garbage and recyclable materials from more than 130 locations in downtown Raleigh. This diverse customer group includes restaurants, bars, stores, and many small companies.
ABC permit holders that need recycling inspections for a new or renewal permit should call 919-996-3245 to schedule a visit.
Central Business District Solid Waste Regulations
The following information explains how solid waste is to be handled properly in the Central Business District. This information serves as a reminder and a warning of the civil penalty for continued violations.
Recycling Collection Schedule
- Recycling is collected Monday through Saturday.
- All recycling must be placed on the curb for collection no earlier than 3 p.m. but no later than 5:30 p.m.
- Recycling put out before 3 p.m., after 5:30 p.m., or on Sundays is a violation of Raleigh Municipal Code.
- All recycling carts, and uncollected waste must be removed from the curb by 9:30 am the day after collection.
Proper Prep Required
- All recycling must be put in the green City-issued bags or trash containers.
- Any recycling not put in the green City of Raleigh containers or bags will be considered improperly prepared for collection.
- All restaurants and bars must use City carts to prevent leakage on sidewalks.
- Blue carts are for recycling only.
- Corrugated cardboard is a recyclable item.
- Corrugated cardboard must be broken down into pieces no larger than 3 ft x 3 ft, stacked, and secured.
- Yard waste and building materials will NOT be collected.
- Violation of these regulations is subject up to a $500 civil penalty.
Businesses Outside Downtown Raleigh
Businesses located outside downtown Raleigh may qualify for curbside collection. Recyclable materials are collected every other week. Businesses may not receive yard waste collection.
Fees and Carts
Unlike residents, businesses must purchase garbage and recycling carts from the City. Businesses are limited to a maximum of two carts for garbage and two for recycling. In addition to the one-time costs of purchasing carts, participating businesses will pay the Residential Curbside Service fees. Currently, those fees total $15.55 per month.
Want to Know if Your Business Qualifies for Service?
Call 919-996-3245 and choose option 4. A Solid Waste Services Code Enforcement Officer will visit your location to decide if it qualifies for service. Eligible businesses must have adequate space to store carts when they are not out for collection. Generally, mixed-use developments do not qualify for City collection.
Multi-Family Recycling Apartments and Condos
Dumpsters will be placed in most communities to maximize efficiency of collection. Cabinets will be installed in complexes that don’t have space for dumpsters.
Complex managers will receive free educational cards and posters to share with their residents. We also offer email newsletters exclusively for managers and can provide fun activities for food truck nights and other community events. Best of all - there are no additional fees for the new and improved service!
If no recycling facilities exist at your apartment community, speak with your complex manager and ask them to contact us. While we love hearing from residents, we must speak directly with the complex manager about their interest in joining Raleigh's recycling program. Communities must be within the city limits of Raleigh.
To learn more about our multifamily improvements and how to get started, complex managers should contact our Environmental Coordinator.