The Solid Waste Services (SWS) Department provides curbside service to customers in our community, but the Needs Assistance Program (NAP) offers additional help for those who cannot physically wheel their recycling, yard waste, or garbage carts to the curb and have no one living with them who can assist.
To be considered for NAP, customers must submit a completed application to the Raleigh Solid Waste Services Department and abide by program policies, procedures, terms, and conditions.
To qualify for NAP, you must:
- Be a current Raleigh SWS customer who receives residential curbside services;
- Have a permanent or temporary disability and live without a non-disabled person in the residence who can move the carts to the curb;
- Submit a completed NAP application, including Part B, which requires a healthcare provider's signature. Only customers with complete applications are considered for eligibility into the Needs Assistance Program; and,
- Acknowledge that NAP participants may be subject to annual audits to verify continued eligibility.
Note: *Recertification may be required if circumstances change, such as a non-disabled person moving into your home or if the property is sold.
How to Apply
- Download or print the Need Assistance Program application.
- Read all sections of the application and sign Part A.
- Send or give the application to your health provider.
- A physician or physician's assistant must complete and sign the healthcare provider section (Part B).
- Mail the completed application to Solid Waste Services, PO Box 590, Raleigh, NC 27602, email it to SWSCodeCompliance@raleighnc.gov, or fax it to (919) 212-4290.
Only complete applications will be processed.
If you wish to have a blank application mailed, please call our Customer Care Center at 919-996-3245.
Once a NAP application is approved, program guidelines should be followed to prevent a missed collection or service.
- Please be sure to prepare your garbage or recycling correctly, or it will not be collected. Read how to prepare your yard waste.
- Your carts must be accessible to our crews. SWS personnel will not go on porches, behind fences or gates, in garages, up steps, or decks to access garbage, recycling, and yard waste containers.
- All animals must be secured and enclosed in a fence. SWS personnel will not enter spaces with loose animals (pets) or maneuver over terrain, creating topographical problems that make collection unsafe.
- NAP customers receive collection service for City-issued lime green yard waste carts. Yard Waste bundles and paper bags (outside the cart) are not included with NAP service.
Let Us Know if You no Longer Need NAP Service
If you no longer need the service, please let us know so we can remove the address from the program list. Call our Customer Care Center at 919-996-3245.