Did you know each year, about 700 people die in work zone related crashes? Of those fatalities, 130 are work zone workers. There are about 35,000 work zone injuries each year.
Work zone safety is important and many work zone related crashes can be prevented if you stay focused.
Here are a few tips:
- Stay alert and minimize distractions. Put away cellphones and watch for pedestrians, workers, and equipment. Dedicate your full attention to the road and follow the road signs;
- Be careful to avoid traffic barricades and drums that may be used to control traffic near the work zones;
- Follow other vehicles at a safe distance. Give yourself enough space and time to react to the unexpected;
- Be prepared to slow down. For your safety, reducing your speed in a work zone will allow you to safely negotiate potentially hazardous conditions caused by work zone activity; and,
- Most importantly, be patient!
Following these safety tips will create a safe driving experience for everyone and reduce the risk of injury for work zone staff. Stay focused and make safety your destination!