Lock It or Lose It!:
- In 2017, there were 4,548 vehicle break-ins reported to Raleigh Police.
- 80% of these vehicles had no visible damage to the vehicle, indicating they were most likely unlocked.
- In 2017, there were 268 firearms stolen from vehicles during the crime of Larceny from Motor Vehicle.
- Ninety-two vehicles were stolen by suspects when they located a key inside the vehicle.
- The majority of vehicles had a bag, purse or other item of perceived value visible from the outside.
- 51% of the targeted vehicles were located at single family homes or apartment complexes.
Citizens are encouraged to lock their vehicles and remove valuables, especially firearms, or risk losing them to theft.