File a Complaint or Give a Compliment: Raleigh Police Department

Jump To:

Filing a Complaint Disposition of Complaint Request Recordings - BWCs and MVRs Citizen Complaint Cases Investigated by RPD How to Compliment an Employee

The Internal Affairs Unit is responsible for receiving, processing, assigning and supervising the investigation of any alleged misconduct or criminal conduct against any member of the Raleigh Police Department. The Internal Affairs Unit ensures that all allegations are investigated thoroughly and objectively.

Filing a Complaint

The Internal Affairs Unit will accept all complaints which can be received in person, by letter, telephone, or email to  Anonymous complaints are also accepted; however, we will not be able to follow up with you for further information.

All complaints will be reviewed and a determination will be made to assign the complaint to the appropriate immediate supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit for investigation. Following a thorough and impartial investigation, a disposition will be rendered based on all available factual information. The complainant will receive notification of the final disposition by registered mail with a return receipt.

Disposition of Complaint

Police officers are public employees and the personnel information that can be released concerning them is regulated by North Carolina General Statutes. The results of all complaints are called findings, which fall into six classifications.

  • Sustained: Facts exist which prove specific allegations or other wrongdoing discovered during the investigation.
  • Not sustained: Insufficient facts exist to substantiate any wrongdoing or to refute the allegations.
  • Unfounded: Either the allegation is demonstrably false or there is no credible evidence to support it.
  • Proper Conduct: The actions of the Department or officers involved were not inconsistent with Department policy or training.
  • Policy Failure: The investigation indicates a need to modify or expand training, or need to change policies and procedures.
  • Other: Any disposition not indicated above.

Request Recordings - BWCs and MVRs

Raleigh Police Internal Affairs is responsible for providing police worn cameras referred to as Body Worn Cameras (BWC) and Mobile Vehicle Recorders (MVR ) to the public. Visit our Recording Disclosure Form page to initiate your request. 

Citizen Complaint Cases Investigated by RPD

  2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
Citizen Complaints 42 43 46 25 13 24 30 26 29 32 11 9
Sustained 5 9 13 12 7 8 8 12 15 19 8 3
Not sustained 23 26 21 8 5 12 17 8 6 5 2 1
Unfounded 4 0 8 3 0 1 1 0 1 2 0 3
Proper Conduct 10 8 3 2 1 2 4 5 7 5 1 2
Pending 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
Other 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

How to Compliment an Employee

Quite often, a citizen might observe that a Police Department employee has performed his or her duties in a noteworthy fashion, and wonder how to go about bringing this to the Department's attention. The Chief's Office would like to hear about these good performances by our officers and/or civilian employees.

You may send letters of compliment to:

Chief of Police
Raleigh Police Department
6716 Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27615



Mailing address:
6716 Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27615





Lead Department:
Service Categories:
Police Divisions