Lock It or Lose It!:
- In 2020, there were 2,520 vehicle break-ins reported to Raleigh Police.
- 96% of these vehicles had no visible damage to the vehicle, indicating they were most likely unlocked.
- In 2020, there were 211 firearms stolen from vehicles during the crime of Larceny from Motor Vehicle.
- One hundred five vehicles were stolen by suspects when they located a key inside the vehicle.
- The majority of vehicles had a bag, purse or other item of perceived value visible from the outside.
- 53% of the targeted vehicles were located at single family homes or apartment complexes.
Citizens are encouraged to lock their vehicles and remove valuables, especially firearms, or risk losing them to theft.