The Downtown North-South Greenway Connector Project is a priority item in the 2016 BikeRaleigh plan and will serve as a key bicycle link between Glenwood South to the Warehouse District.
Although the City of Raleigh has multiple streets downtown that are positioned as north/south streets, Harrington and West Streets will connect to two future proposed greenways. It will be considered an 'urban greenway'. Both streets have independent utility connecting to downtown Raleigh destinations - notably two downtown grocery stores.
Providing separated bike lanes allows people to turn to biking as a safe, reliable, and healthy way to commute, and is a key solution for handling increased traffic and parking concerns.
- Pedestrians: Increase buffer from car traffic
- Businesses: Convenient connection from downtown to warehouse district
- Drivers: Less negotiation around bicyclists; fewer cars on the road
- Cyclists: Safe road riding NOT in traffic
- Community: promotes physical activity
Bicycle and Pedestrian
- Project Lead:
NPS Solutions, LLC