Experience Benefits Recognition
The City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department develops future leaders through its internship program. The purpose of the program is to gain a hands-on experience in key areas of the field and to encourage talented university students within the area of parks, recreation and cultural resources.
For more information, contact our internship coordinator, Ryan Ryba.
An internship with the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department offers the opportunity to have a practical substantial work experience within a particular division or program and exposure to the nature, structure, and opportunities that compose the department. We also offer:
- A thorough introduction to the department including standard part-time orientation materials as well as the important issues that challenge the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources field
- Tours of the diverse settings and facilities
- A meeting and in-depth overview of the department with the director
- A project to be conducted by the intern and presented as a culmination to the work experience
- A formal end-of-experience evaluation through which important information may be gained from the interns about the effectiveness of the program
- Social get-togethers with other interns
The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department offers internship opportunities in several fields within the department's six different divisions. Positions are paid or unpaid depending on the specific needs of the supervisor.
The department offers:
- Flexibility to meet the needs of each individual intern
- A wide variety of experiences for each intern resulting from the scope and structure of the department
- Interns from colleges and universities across the U.S.
- Professional contact with management throughout the state
The department has been recognized for excellence in park and recreation management and has received:
- National Gold Medal award for Excellence in Parks and Recreation Management
- National Gold Medal award for Services to the Handicapped
- National Recreation and Park Association excellence in Aquatics award