Electric Car Charging Stations Exhibits and Displays Loaner Equipment Nature Play Area Hiking and Wildlife Watching Native Plant Garden Comfort Station
Electric Car Charging Stations
A free electric car-charging station is conveniently located next to the park office.
- Plug is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- A second station is available near the preserve’s maintenance barn and is available on request when the first station is being used.
Exhibits and Displays
The park office has hands-on natural history displays and a craft table for children. The education center has indoor and outdoor exhibits designed for older students and adults.
Annie Louise Wilkerson, MD Nature Preserve has a variety of loaner equipment available for free at the park office during operating hours, including:
- Binoculars for adults
- Kites and other nature play equipment
- Explorer backpacks for children in a variety of themes
Nature Play Area
- Several nature play areas allow children and the young-at-heart to play in a natural setting. In these designated areas, you can build a fort, make a fairy house, hide in a native grass maze, dig for rocks in a sandpit, play in a teepee, and more.
- Fairy houses may currently be found in our forested nature play area. Fairies migrate seasonally and can be seen in other parts of the park.
- We also host several Nature Play Days each year when staff set up play stations with extra materials to enhance imagination.
Hiking and Wildlife Watching
- Three interpretive trails provide ample opportunities for nature study and wildlife watching.
- The preserve is connected to a large expanse of gamelands and parklands that form an impressive wildlife corridor around Falls Lake.
- The fields and meadows in the preserve provide habitat for grassland birds and mammals.
- A checklist of birds seen in the park is provided in the park office. The list is revised as we see more.
Native Plant Garden
Several native plant gardens are located around the park office, comfort station, and education center.