It’s that time of year again! Lots of holiday cooking means lots of extra kitchen grease and the City of Raleigh is ready to help keep that grease out of the drain. Get rid of cooking oil for free between Nov. 1, 2019 and Jan. 15, 2020.
Take these two easy steps:
- Call City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services at 919-996-3245 to arrange for curbside collection.
- Place grease and cooking oil in a sealable and preferably clear plastic container and mark it with “used cooking oil.”
Through Jan. 15, 2020, residents and places of worship can leave used cooking oil curbside and the City will collect it at no charge.
- You must call ahead to arrange for curbside grease pickup because a special vehicle is used for this service.
- Don't pour grease down the drain
- Don't wash fryers, griddles, pots or pans with water until all the oil and grease has been removed.
Seasonal grease collection protects the environment by keeping cooking grease out of the City’s sewer system, preventing sewer overflows. It’s also an important recycling effort --collected grease is converted to biofuel, a renewable source of energy used to power vehicles, heat homes, and cook food.
More information: curbside grease collection or call the Raleigh Customer Support Center at 919-996-3245.