If you would like to be considered for service on the Mayor's Committee for Services to Persons with Disabilities please complete the online interest form.
The third Thursday of each month:
May 21, 2020 from noon - 1 p.m.
Raleigh Municipal Building
222 West Hargett Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
If you would like to schedule an appearance before the Commission, contact Demetrius Edwards at 919-996-5740. Everyone is invited to attend the meeting.
The Raleigh City Council proclaimed July 29, 2019 as Americans with Disabilities Act Awareness Day, in honor of the ADA's 29th anniversary.
The committee helps people with disabilities to participate in the economic and social life of the community. To this end, the committee promotes employment of people with disabilities and communicates their needs to local leaders and the public. The committee also sponsors activities benefiting people with disabilities and their families.
- Advise the mayor and City Council on matters of concern to citizens with disabilities.
- Address environmental and attitudinal barriers preventing equal access by citizens with disabilities to education, recreation, employment, transportation, and housing.
- Promote public awareness of the talents and abilities of persons with disabilities.
- Inform citizens with disabilities of programs, services and opportunities available to them within the public and private sectors.
At the annual awards banquet, the committee recognizes outstanding contributions by individuals or groups who have made a significant impact on the community of persons with disabilities. Awards include:
- Employer of the Year (Small, Medium and Large categories)
- Citizen Involvement Award
- Lockhart Follin-Mace Advocacy Award
- James E. Meekins Award for an individual with a disability
- Excellence in Transportation
- Excellence in Housing
- Excellence in Recreation
- Media Award (Television, Print, Radio categories)
- Supervisor of the Year
Awareness and education play a large role in the employment of persons with disabilities. For this reason, the committee presents seminars for personnel officers and other representatives of major employers in the Raleigh area. Presenters at the seminars speak with conviction and from personal experience about employing people with disabilities. Committee members also provide information to employers about adaptive equipment to enhance the working skills of people with disabilities.
The Housing Committee acts as a liaison between the City and its citizens on issues related to the availability and accessibility of housing. The committee works closely with individuals and families seeking affordable, accessible housing.
The Transportation Committee acts a liaison between the City and its citizens on issues regarding the accessibility of transportation. The committee works with the City to ensure that the transportation needs of people with disabilities are being addressed.
- Ricky Scott
- Philip Woodward
- Sharon Benton
- Lori Millette
Secretary, Chair of Nomination and Scholarship Committee
- Bob Evans
Chair of Recreation Committee
- Fred Johnson
Chair of Transportation
- Andy Landes
Chair of Health and Wellness
- Ronnie Marshall
Chair of Public Access
- Shakema McClean
Chair of Employment Resources
- Robert Parrish
Chair of Housing Committee
- Tara Waters
Chair of Awards Banquet
- Donnie Best
- Lawrence Carter
- Paula Coppola
- Suzette Harrington
- Julia Matthews-McClain
- Ginger Rush
- John Samuel