Public Nuisances

Jump To:

Noise Vehicles (abandoned, nuisance and zoning) Procedure Contact Us

A public nuisance is any condition occurring in an open place that is found to constitute a detriment, danger and hazard to the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the City of Raleigh. Common public nuisances include:

  • The dense growth of tall weeds or grass that is over 8 inches in height.
  • The concentration of combustibles (mattresses, boxes, paper, tires, trash, etc.).
  • The concentration of building materials not suitable for construction (concrete, lumber, steel, etc.).
  • The storage of refrigerators, appliances or household furniture.
  • The concentration of junk or litter

All Raleigh residents have a responsibility to make sure their property is clean, safe and free of potential health hazards. The Raleigh City Code and North Carolina state statutes set out the procedures used to control and remove dangers to the public health, and to help ensure a clean, safe and healthy environment in the Capital City as referenced in the City Code Part 10A Sec. 11.6.4 and Part 12 Sec. 12-6002.

Violations of the City's Health, Sanitation and Public Nuisance Ordinance are reported by citizens, City Agencies and Code Inspectors.

What is a public nuisance abatement?

Public nuisance abatement is a corrective action taken by the city to resolve a public nuisance violation when the property’s owner has failed to do so within an allotted time. We will coordinate with either Streets Maintenance or use a private contractor to remove the violation(s). City Council will then be asked to confirm the cost of the abatement, as well as an administrative fee, as a lien on the property, if unpaid by the property owner.

Will I be charged if a public nuisance is found on my property?

A first offense violation does not carry a fee. A second public nuisance violation found on a property within 12 months of the first public nuisance violation will result in a $100 administrative fee and a $250 civil penalty. A third public nuisance violation found on a property within 12 months of the first carries a $100 administrative fee and a $500 civil penalty.


The City of Raleigh Police Department is responsible for addressing all noise complaints. If you are concerned with disruptive noise in your area, call the police department at 919-831-6311 to file a complaint. 

Vehicles (abandoned, nuisance and zoning)

City ordinances (Part 12 Chapter 7) prohibit abandoned and nuisance vehicles. An abandoned motor vehicle is one that is:

  • Left on any public street or highway in violation of a traffic or parking law;
  • Left on any public street or highway longer than seven days;
  • Left on property owned or operated by the City of Raleigh for longer than 24 hours; or,
  • Left on private property without the consent of the property owner, occupant or tenant for longer than two (2) hours

A nuisance motor vehicle is one which:

  • Serves as a breeding ground or harbor for insects, rats or other pests;
  • Is surrounded by heavy growth or weeds or other vegetation over eight inches high;
  • Is being used to store combustibles, such as gasoline, oil or other explosive or flammable materials;
  • Is a collection for garbage, waste or water;
  • Is positioned in such a manner that it may fall, turn over or make an unsafe movement;
  • Is considered unsafe due to jagged metal or broken glass; or,
  • Any other vehicle that the City Council has specifically declared a health and safety hazard and a public nuisance 

The City of Raleigh Police Department is responsible for the removal of abandoned or nuisance vehicles from public streets or City-owned property. No notice to the vehicle owner is required. The Housing & Neighborhoods Code Enforcement is responsible for the removal of abandoned or nuisance vehicles from private property. The vehicle owner is notified of the violation by a notice affixed to the vehicle and by certified mail. If the violation is not corrected by the date set by the City (no sooner than seven days after the notice is affixed), the vehicle will be towed away at the owner’s expense. To regain possession of the vehicle, the owner must pay storage fees owed to the towing company as well as towing charges. If payment is not made, the towing company will dispose of the vehicle.

City ordinance also prohibits the open storage of two or more vehicles that are: 

  • Unlicensed;
  • Uninspected;
  • Wrecked;
  • Crushed; or
  • Partially or totally dismantled

After preliminary inspection and notification of violation by the City, the vehicle owner is given a deadline to remove the vehicle. If the vehicle is not removed by the deadline, the City inspector may issue a civil citation against the owner with an initial fine of $100 per vehicle. If the violation is not corrected after the initial citation is issued, the fine increases to $500 per day until the matter is resolved.


When the problem is brought to the attention of the City and appears to be a violation of one of the City's laws or ordinances, the property will be visited by either a police officer (if a crime or a violation of the noise or excessive party ordinance) or a City inspector.  The officer or inspector will investigate. If it is a police matter, the officer will issue a warning or citation. If it is a public nuisance violation issue, the inspector will issue an order to bring the property into compliance.

  • The inspector will notify the property owner (as identified on the Wake County Tax Records) of any existing violations
  • The property owner has approximately ten (10) days to bring the property into compliance with the City Code
  • The property owner may be assessed an Administrative Fee and/or Civil Penalties if the violation is a repeated condition
  • Failure to correct violations could result in work being done by the City or a contractor. If abated by the City, the owner would receive a notice requesting payment for the work performed in addition to any administrative or legal fees
  • Failure to pay abatement costs could result in a lien being placed against the property

The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcing public nuisance violations in Raleigh. Penalties are imposed against owners of property who allow these health and safety nuisances to exist on their property. Under an ordinance approved by the City Council that took effect on Jan. 1, 2007, a property owner who abates a nuisance when notified of its existence by the City will not be assessed any fees. However, if the property owner has a second nuisance code violation within 12 months of the first violation, the City will assess the owner an administrative fee of $100 for the second violation plus a minimum $250 civil penalty.

Contact Us

What do I need to request an inspection?

The exact address of the property, when possible, that is in violation and a description of the violations on the property.

How can I make a complaint?

If you have a noise complaint, please call the Raleigh Police Department at 919-831-6311 for immediate assistance. 

All other complaints can be submitted via the City's Code Enforcement Request Form or called into the Code Enforcement Division at 919-996-2444.



Code Enforcement Division


Lead Department:
Housing and Neighborhoods
Service Categories:
Code Enforcement